View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #324
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sept 19, 3065 – Chief Ingrid Foster sits down for a normal daily briefing with Duke Braham Essex. She brings to his attention a new possible opportunity for everyone interested. After hearing her proposal, he agrees quickly. It’s very similar to things we did with Storm’s Thunder, Smithson’s Chinese Bandits, and Barber’s Marauders II.

Sept 20, 3065 – Thoma Marie Essex, on world in Hesperus II as a local soldier, meets up with Alexander Carlisle, offers him her sympathies, and then offers him something else. Her father would love a chance to chat before he returns to the LCAF.

Sept 29, 3065 – Alexander Carlisle and Duke Essex meet aboard a JumpShip and have their first meetings. After spending some time getting to know each other, the real conversation begins.

“As I mentioned Alexander, I have an offer for you. I’d like to offer you the full support you need to rebuild the Gray Death Legion as a semi-independent mercenary unit under the auspices of the Kilts and Commandoes unit.

I have a ton of good quality mechs we have salvaged in various campaigns that we are just sitting on. I have the techs, the infrastructure, and the materiel to get you started. You have the contacts. You can find people to pilot the Mechs, grab armor or infantry you want, and so forth.

Plus, your unit can be as independent as you want to be. If you want to keep your own warchest, independent from our own, that’s fine. You can negotiate your own contracts, have your own transport, and so forth. Your unit will exist again, as your parents knew, in the mercenary life. “

“And why would you be willing to make that offer?”

“Not that many reasons. I’ll start off with the most important. We need power armor. The Kilts and Commandoes unit specifically, and the Celestial Coalition generally. I’d like to have your power armor making techs and scientists, Gray Death Technologies, make all of the variants of Grey Death armor for the Coalition and Kilts and Commandoes exclusively. That’s one.

Second, we pull those machines out of mothballs and save our upkeep and expanses

Third, we get a chance to add you and your unit to our roster. You put a line in your contract that, in times of severe emergencies, that you can break the deal and come to Epsilon Eridani, and then help us, in case we are blasted by a major house or somesuch. That helps us too.”

“Battle armor, huh?”

“Absolutely. Basically we are contracting your Battle Armor for a regiment of mechs and some armor and infantry too. You can stay on Glengarry if you want, and can secure a garrison. This is the best deal I think you’ll get. No one is that interested in making a fellow mercenary unit work again. We are.”

“I wouldn’t want to return to Glengarry. It was my home, but that was a lifetime ago now. We were stripped of the title, and the unit has ceased to be according to everything ever read.”

“Your father built the Grey Death Legion. You can rebuild it according to a new way of thinking. You can even garrison on one of the worlds in the Coalition, while you set up your units, techs, and support system.”

“I’ll think about it. I’ll get back to you in a week, with my decision.”

“Sounds fair, we’ll talk to you then.”

Alexander Carlisle takes the offer and goes shopping with it. Can he find a better deal? Or at least an equal one? Wolf’s Dragoons, the Northwind Highlanders, the Kell Hounds, and a lot more. No one is interested in reinvigorating the Gray Death Legion. Many just don’t want the competition, and others aren’t interested in helping a fellow merc with the financial investment that would be involved.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote