View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #40
Radii
Head Coach

March 6, 2008

Norfolk State (14-12, 11-6 MEAC) at NC A&T (10-15, 8-9 MEAC)

We lost at Norfolk State 75-62 in our first conference game back in early December. We're a totally different team now though and I expect a win in our final regular season contest. I may be expecting quite a bit though as the teams that have had winning records in the MEAC usually play well above their ratings and Norfolk State has managed an 11-6 record. Their numbers don't look that good though...

14:30 1st - We fall behind 11-4 early, not shooting well at all and we've given the ball away a couple times in stupid spots.

12:45 1st - Wow what the hell is wrong with us today, Norfolk State isn't that good... we trail 18-4.

Well, at the 3 minute mark we get the lead down to 10 for the first time in forever. Norfolk State goes ice cold and we finally stop turning it over... we end up cutting 4 more points off the lead and its a close enough game at the half that we're in it just fine.

39-33 Norfolk State. Ewing has 9, Rush 6, Shepherd 6. We're only 1-7 from 3 in the half though, and all of those 3's were wide open.

15:30 2nd - It often happens when Rush has a bad first half... he's already hit 4 open 3 pointers in the 2nd half, 4-4. Its not enough to push us out into the lead, but we've clawed back to a tie game, 49-49.

11:30 2nd - Rush is now 6-6 from 3 in this half. Unfortunately our defense has just not been good enough. We trail 58-55 as most of our backups go onto the floor.

7:45 2nd - 66-64 NC A&T leads! We fell behind 62-57 and have finally started locking down on defense a bit. Ewing hit an open 3 and Rush hit two layups and we've got the lead!

5:45 2nd - 73-64 NC A&T! Norfolk State throws away two inbounds passes in a row, calls a timeout, comes down and misses a shot and we score again, we're now on a 16-2 run.

3:00 2nd - 77-70 NC A&T as all 5 starters are finally back out on the court together.

We seemingly have the game wrapped up, but we're eating clock and not scoring and we let them back into it. Its 79-76 with 10 seconds to go in the game. Willis misses a 10 footer as the shot clock expires, they get the ball and Rush commits a foul to keep them from shooting a 3. They make the first free throw, then disaster strikes. They miss the second, get an offensive board, get fouled on the putback and the shot goes in! There's 1 second left and its tied at 79. Thankfully, they brick the FT and we're going to overtime.

3:00 OT - We fall behind by 4, Coleman scores to make it 85-83 and norfolk state uses a timeout.

0:52 OT - Again we fall behind by 4, but Alston goes 1-2 from the line, we get a stop, and Willis gets fouled and makes both his free throws... 89-88 Norfolk State, they have the ball.

0:43 OT - They come down and drain a quick 3... 92-88.

0:32 OT - Rush has their center on him for some reason, he drives by him easily and draws a foul. Both free throws are good... 92-90.

0:20 OT - we foul their SG, he hits both, Rush gets an open 3 on our end but misses.

We hit a late 3 and foul again, only trailing 93-91 with 8 seconds left. They miss the front end of the 1 and 1 but get the offensive board(infuriating way to lose IMO). They hit the free throws the second time around and we lose.

Norfolk State 95
NC A&T 91

1 OT

I *REALLY* blew this one at the end of regulation. I thought i had the game in hand, and really did, but one sloppy pass let them score a very quick 2, then things went to shit and we let them back into it to force overtime.

Rush had what may have been his best game of the year, scoring 34 points on 12-24 shooting(6-11 from 3). Ewing put in 18, and we got 5-7 points from a number of other players.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote