View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #76
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You are desperate to keep ahead of the herd for fear of being trampled under their pounding hooves. Yet, as you approach the fast-flowing river, you are forced to tug hard on your horse’s reins to slow him to a walk. The bank ahead is steeply undercut. If you were to rush headlong over the edge, you and your horse would plummet more than 20 feet into the rushing river.

Fortunately, Karvas reacts swiftly when he sees you slowing your horse and he is able to rein in his mount behind you. Following your lead, he coaxes his horse over the edge of the steep bank and he is able to control his descent down the bank towards a narrow strip of muddy clay at the water’s edge. Above you, the leading fanji come thundering over the edge to tumble into the river with a mighty splash. They barely break the surface before they are swept downstream by the strong current. More than a hundred fanji crash into the river and are washed away before the remainder of the herd comes to a halt. You coax your horse forward and for two miles you keep him to the narrow strip of sticky soil which borders the river, until you reach a place where the steep bank tapers away to a gentle incline. Here, you are able to leave the river and climb the bank to the grassy plain. As you crest the top of the bank, you see the remaining herd scattering in all directions as, relentlessly, the hunters pursue them.

As dusk approaches you find a secluded hollow beside the trail, close to a bend in the river, where you set up camp for the night. Your Magnakai Huntmastery skills are put to good use at the river’s edge and you are able to enjoy a pair of fat fish for your supper this evening. The night passes peacefully and you leave the camp at dawn to continue northwards along the trail, following the flow of the river.

It is nearing the end of the day when you see a hamlet on the road ahead. Its half-timbered buildings are clustered on either side of the river and connected by a sturdy stone bridge. A signpost at the side of the road tells you that you are approaching the hamlet of Voshno.

( I visited the Stone)

You enter the sleepy hamlet of Voshno and ride along its main street, past rows of dusty shops and gabled houses. You come to a market square. The villagers here are a sullen, silent crowd. Few pay you more than the scantest attention as they go about their evening chores. To the east of the square you can see a paved avenue called Shaney Street that leads down to the river. An arch of pale pink stone stands at the entrance to the Voshno Bridge, its surface pitted and scarred with lasting reminders of desperate battles fought here during wars past.

You recall the advice given you freely by the man called Daventi when you visited the Oridon Stone. He said that the bridge at Voshno has been seized by robber knights from Cavalia and they are demanding a heavy toll from anyone seeking to use it. You tell Karvas this and he says that you should avoid the bridge and continue north along the trail.

Three miles out of Voshno you see a small farmstead at the river’s edge. It has a water-mill and its wheel is turning slowly, grinding the farmer’s corn. Beside the mill you notice a raft moored to a wooden jetty. The farmer is in an adjoining field and he waves as you ride nearer. You stop to ask if he would kindly ferry you and your horses across to the other side of the river.

‘I’d be glad to, my lords,’ he replies, with a broad smile. ‘If’n you’d be willing to pay me 8 Lune.’

(I pay)

You pay the farmer (erase the appropriate sum from your Action Chart) and he ferries you and your horse across the river. Then he goes back to collect Karvas and his mount. Once the Prince is safely across, you bid the cheerful farmer farewell and ride away from the river, heading east. You notice that Prince Karvas is smiling as he rides across this lush river valley and you ask him why this is so. He explains that the Ioma is the political boundary between the realms of Lunarlia and Siyen, and that you are now on Siyenese soil. After ten years in exile he has, at last, returned to his homeland.

Dusk is turning to darkness when you come to a road that crosses the valley to the east of Voshno. Your horses are tired and so you decide to camp for the night in a small wood that borders this road. Before you rest, you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points (unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery)

You strike camp at dawn and set off along the plains road to the east. The morning sky is clear and sunny, and the air is filled with butterflies and the sound of bird song. Having now entered Siyen, and with ten days remaining to Harvestmas, you are feeling quietly confident that you will reach Seroa in time for Karvas to be crowned King. But the Prince is a little less optimistic. He tells you that you are now in the western province of Cavalia, a region which shares its name with its principal city. The province and city are ruled by Sadanzo, the evil Baron who seeks to usurp the throne of Siyen. Karvas advocates that you both remain vigilant until you are safely beyond the borders of his enemy’s province.

It is nearing noon when you first glimpse the towers and spires of Cavalia glinting on the horizon. The plains road leads directly to its fortified gatehouse, but Karvas is anxious to avoid entering the city. He proposes that you leave the road and use a smaller trail which threads through several small villages and settlements that ring the city. You are approaching the first of these villages when you see a troop of thirty horsemen riding towards you on the trail ahead. They wear chainmail armour and they each have the emblem of a black eagle’s head emblazoned upon their white surcoats and shields. A golden crown surmounts these eagles’ heads and Karvas gasps when he sees them. He signals to you to rein in your horse and, as you come to a halt, he tells you that the approaching horsemen are wearing the livery of Baron Sadanzo. The black eagle’s head is his mark, but it is the addition of a golden crown that has shocked Karvas. It is the sign of royal ascendance. Karvas is fearful that Baron Sadanzo has already been crowned King of Siyen.

As they ride nearer, the leader of the troop—a Knight Bachelor—motions his horsemen to leave the trail and encircle you and the Prince. As they obey his command, the Knight Bachelor brings his snorting steed to a halt alongside your horse.

‘Hail, fellow riders,’ he says, with forced politeness. He raises the visor of his helmet and his dark, suspicious eyes scrutinise you from head to toe.

‘You are Northlanders, are you not? What business do you pursue here in the province of Cavalia?’

( I tell them we are on our way to Seroa for the upcoming holiday)

So you’re on your way to Seroa, eh?’ says the Knight Bachelor. ‘If you are there in time for Harvestmas then you’ll see the crowning of Baron Sadanzo. I only wish I could be there myself to celebrate that happy day. Alas, someone must remain to protect Cavalia while our master, our future king, is away.’

Karvas asks the young knight why he and his men are wearing the crown of Siyen upon their shields and surcoats. ‘I thought,’ he says, taking care to mask his native Siyenese accent, ‘that it is customary here in Siyen for only soldiers of the King’s Guard to wear the royal crown? Is it not so?’

The Knight Bachelor glares at Karvas and you sense that the Prince’s comments have stung him. ‘Our master is … will be … the King of Siyen,’ he blusters. ‘There is no other who claims the throne of our realm. We wear the crown in honour of his right to ascendance. Perhaps you foreigners oppose our Baron’s right?’

The Knight Bachelor stares accusingly into your eyes. When he gets no reaction, he jerks his head back to Karvas and fixes the Prince with the same cold, unblinking gaze. Your Kai Sixth Sense informs you that this Knight Bachelor is a greedy and ambitious young man who is hungry for promotion. Unwittingly, Karvas has insulted his honour and, to save face in front of his men, he is thinking of arresting you both on the suspicion that you are spies. You know that you must act swiftly if you are to avoid this.

(I offer a bribe)

You smile at the knight and pull open the flap of your Belt Pouch to reveal some of the coins inside.

‘Perhaps I may offer a donation, my lord?’ you say. ‘Call it a gesture of our gratitude for the fine work you and your men are doing to ensure that the highways of Cavalia are kept clear of cut-throats and robbers.’

You scoop some coins from your pouch and cup them in your hand.

The Knight Bachelor regards your handful of coins with ill-disguised contempt. He averts his eyes from your hand and begins to take a closer interest in your horse. Your Sixth Sense warns you that he secretly wants your fine Bhanarian steed for himself.

‘Well, my lord, will you accept my donation?’ you ask

The Knight Bachelor glares at you. He attempts to say something but he cannot seem to muster his words. Red-faced, he unsheathes his sword and levels it at you in his trembling hand. ‘You … you are spies!’ he exclaims. ‘Throw down your weapons. By the power of my rank and … and for the security of Cavalia, I am arresting you both.’

The surrounding troopers draw their sabres and begin to edge their horses towards you, closing the circle. You see Karvas inching his hand towards his sword but you dissuade him from drawing it with a terse shake of your head. Better to surrender and live to fight another day than be slaughtered by such an overwhelming number of trained and disciplined soldiers.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote