View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #17
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Loughborough University FC

Season Summary 2016/17

The Best Eleven

I wouldn't hesitate to send this team for a match that had to be won. By the end of the season. Late-season additions such as Alex O'Hanlon, James Horsfield didn't play enough to earn a spot here, and Johan ter Horst won a spot on the reserves' bench.

Goalkeepers
Jacob Marsden was an ideal sweeper keeper, making smart decisions with the ball and not giving up possession cheaply. At the same time, he met all the basic requirements for a 'keeper, maintaining a clean sheet in over half his appearances. His success kept another good gloveman, Ciaran O'Loughlin, on the bench, except for some cup ties.

Defenders
Captain Toby Wells was everpresent at center back. He wasn't flashy, but his reliability and sense of calm was crucial to our outstanding defensive performance this season. When Kyle Hempshall left the club, Adam Hunt stepped in and made our back line even better. Hunt's ability to play the ball from the back was a plus.

Spencer Myers and Joe Muscatt gave us two very good options at left back, and James Haran was magnificent on the other flank. His 14 assists were second on the team--evidence of his ability to join the attack--and he pitched in three goals while serving as a makeshift striker.

I'd have liked to find more playing time for Josh Murray, but his defensive teammates never seemed to miss a step.

Central Midfielders
I opened the season with Amadu Waritay, Jack Willbye, and Luke Wright in our midfield trio. By the end of the campaign, for one reason or another, none of them were regularly starting.

Tom Koblenz made the DM position his own, dropping back to assist our back line and calmly recycling possession with simple, smart passes. The arrival of James Horsfield and Alex O'Hanlon gave me three cultured, all-round midfielders who could move between the three midfield spots with ease. Botswana international Brandon Wilson made a big impression whenever he entered the game.

Then there was Andreas Bianga, who handled the role of utility midfielder with professionalism and class. Wright, too, accepted his more limited role without pouting.

Wide Midfielders
By winter, I was in the enviable position of having two dynamic wingers on each side, which made it easy for me to handle fatigue and injury over the course of a long season.

Left wingers Harvey Barnes and Stuart Wilkin combined for 16 goals and 15 assists. On the right, Elvis Otim and Michael Taylor totaled 15 goals and 27 (!) assists. Sometimes the numbers speak for themselves, don't they?

And, don't forget Jimmy Warnett, who struck seven goals in 12 appearances before he got hurt and, then, aged out of the team.

Forwards
For the second straight season, the role of front man was played by a fairly large cast of characters. Derrick Otim took the lead more often than anyone else, and hit 17 goals in all competitions. Derrick was particularly deadly in the FA Vase, scoring eight goals in seven appearances.

Then Johan ter Horst pulled on a Loughborough kit and gave us a goal-a-game striker for the rest of the season. Lye's Theo Stair won the Golden Boot with 26 goals, but JTH would have given him a run for his money if he'd been in the league all season long.

Andrew Bridges was productive when we gave him a chance. So was George Conway, before he turned 22 and left the club. There simply wasn't enough time for Danny Whitehall and Harrison Tweddell to prove themselves, but both lads turned down numerous opportunities to leave the club over the course of the season.

Honors
Supporters' Player of the Season: James Haran (53%), Elvis Otim (25%), Luke Wright (14%)
Goal of the Season: James Haran, for a powerful strike from outside the area on 17 April.
Signing of the Season: Alex O'Hanlon. Elvis Otim would have been a good shout, too.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote