View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #184
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
How does she win over the independents and moderates? She's far too extreme. If the GOP knows what they're doing, she would not be the person they give the nomination to. Though, I'm sure the democratic party is keeping their fingers crossed that there will be enough dumb voters to vote for her.

A bit of artistic licensing here, but, if she wins the GOP nomination, it's going to be like Reagan in 84. Except, it will be Obama on the winning side of it.

It isn't likely, but I could see the following all working in her favor:

(1) The base GOP voters feel that the GOP lost because McCain was too moderate and did not energize the base. They do not want to repeat that mistake.

(2) President Obama looks very beatable with ~10% unemployment, so this is the chance to nominate the candidate you want instead of the candidate you think has the best chance of winning over moderates in a general election.

(3) The moderate/establishment/safe candidate folks end up splitting their support among Romney, Pawlenty, and Huntsman. By the time they sort that out, Bachmann has managed to gain enough votes/momentum to be unstoppable.

(4) Along with #3, Bachmann manages to portray the GOP establishment as part of the "problem with Washington" and turns some of the base's populist anger against Romney et al., using their support from establishment figures against them.

Now, personally, I think that #3 is where she trips up. I think that the GOP establishment sees her as enough of a threat that it will quickly turn the nomination into a two-horse race if it sees her with strength going into Iowa. And she loses a two-horse race against Romney/Pawlenty/Huntsman.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote