View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think Clinton was fiscally conservative. There is a difference in being fiscally conservative and fiscally responsible. Clinton spent money but also made sure it didn't go above what we brought in. I consider someone fiscally conservative if they are for shrinking the government and cutting spending by a lot. I never thought that was Clinton's objective.

As for calling his way of governing "right leaning", when does that stereotype end? The last 3 Republican presidents (20 years worth) have put up massive deficits. Isn't it a bit outdated to be calling fiscally responsible activities an issue of the "right"?

I know a ton of lefties who basically consider Clinton a "center-right" Democratic President. They also spoke in derisive terms of the DLC, so take that for what its worth. Progressives who backed Obama early on were not so enamored of the DLC-types, of which President Clinton is the most prominent member.

I think people tend to forget that Clinton passed welfare reform and NAFTA (over Dem objections) in his term of office and also declared "the era of big government to be over". He'd be considered on the right wing of the Dem caucus in the Senate right now.