Nashville Predators receive
L Simon Gagne

Philadelphia Flyers receive
G Mike Dunham
L Cliff Ronning
G Brian Finley*
D Dan Hamhuis*

What this means for the Predators
Nashville needs a young stud player to build around on offense, so they grab Gagne from the Flyers, building on a Philadelphia trend started before Izulde Jestor took over. He'll be an excellent sniper alongside David Legwand at center as part of an exciting young first line foundation for the Predators.

What this means for the Flyers
For Philadelphia, this was about adding veterans to their dreamed of Stanley Cup run. Dunham gives them another veteran goalie to work in their rotation and Ronning has team captain potential writ large on him in addition to being a second line. Finley has some potential as a #2 goalie and Hamhuis might register a pulse somewhere.

Winner: Nashville
If this ends up in a Flyers' Cup title, it's a good move. Otherwise it seems a bit of a cheap sell by Philadelphia for a cornerstone player.

Only thing is, the 21 year old Simon says he's unhappy to leave Philadelphia, the team that drafted him. Here's to hoping he can discover a new happiness in Nashville.

Left
Simon Gagne
Our present and future on the left first line. I expect him to be our lead goal-scorer and hope he can some day be a franchise player.

David Gosselin
Call-up from our AHL franchise, just to fill in the numbers.

Stu Grimson
Mean streak hitter and fighter. Listed as our team captain even though that's not going to fly. 36 years old and on an annoying 3 year contract. $1.1 mil a year isn't bad, though.

Scott Hartnell
Previous management saw him as a bluechip prospect. Taken #6 overall last year's draft and played right away. To be honest, I'm not so sure about him and might deal him.

Vitali Yachmenev
26 year old has average all around skills, save for some quality positioning and penalty ratings, so he'll see some time for sure.

Center
Greg Johnson
Decent all around 30 year old veteran. We'll ship him out to a team that's in need of veteran help. Really nice skater.

Denis Arkhipov
Like Hartnell, a prospect who's probably overvalued by the previous regime. A third round selection, one that I wouldn't mind seeing moved as well.

Tom Fitzgerald
32 year old hit and grind line veteran.

David Legwand
Our 20 year old now and future starring center. I can't wait to see him and Gagne on the ice together. It's going to be awesome.

Right Wing
Martin Erat
Good skater for a 19 year old, but see Arkhipov and Hartnell, as probably overrated prospects by prior regime. We'll see what happens, though.

Scott Walker
Decent all around 27 year old. 4 years, $1.6 mil. a year and our first line right wing. We'll probably hang on to him, though of course we'd eventually like to upgrade here.

Petr Tenkrat
24 year old is a good skater, but very ordinary.

Vladimir Orszgah
See Tenkrat, only not as good a skater.

Chris Mason is summoned from the Admirals to be the #2 goalie.

First Line
Gagne-Legwand-Walker
Houlder-Timonen

Second Line
Yachmenev-Johnson-Erat*
Delmore-Eaton*

Third Line
Hartnell-Fitzgerald-Tenkrat*
Hulse-Skrastins*

Fourth Line
Grimson-Arkhipov-Orszgah

Lot of right wings being talked up in trade chatter the first couple days of this offseason. Mark Recchi rumored to Toronto, Todd Harvey to Minnesota, Owen Nolan to Carolina.

I won't post all the trade rumors, but I'll just say they're one of my favorite parts of EHM.

Oh, our superscout and physio both signed.

Doesn't take long for Roman Cechmanek, one of the three quality Flyers' goalies after the Gagne trade, to get rumored, to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia does make another trade, but it's prospect scrub for scrub with Toronto. Yawn.

Stu Grimson wants to be considered a regular player and his attitude takes a hit because he's a minor league. Okay, sure. He's getting PT so regular player is fine.

Bill Houlder announces this will be his last season.

Training Camp
I'm thrilled to see Simon Gagne and David Legwand report to camp in good shape. That's the way to get bonus points with me. Unfortunately, all of our centers not named Legwand come into camp in crappy shape. That's unacceptable.

I'm going to go ahead and offer Simon Gagne to a 3 year, $2.2 million a year contract extension with $733k bonus like he wants.

I set most of my forwards to attack, most of my defensemen to defense, and my goalies to goalie. I set training 50% on ice, 40% personal, 10% special teams. This is the first time I've ever toyed with training in all my years of EHM, so I don't know if it's right or not.

Pavel Skrbak wants clarification on his future status. Sorry, buddy, you're a minor league.

Simon Gagne signs his extension a few days later. I should have tried for more years, but considering how sad he was to leave Philly, I decide not to get cute.

Pretty big trade on August 30th.

Edmonton Oilers receive
L Markus Naslund

Vancouver Canucks receive
C Todd Marchant
D Jason Smith
L Jared Smyth

What this means for the Oilers
Naslund, 28, is a 35-40 goal scorer, good for 55-70 points a season. Actually it'll probably be slightly more as I intend on bumping scoring up. The dead puck era, as I dub the early 2000s, is kind of boring. The default is 120, so let's try 140. I might also reset the individual records, not sure yet. In any case, a star player for the Oilers.

What this means for the Canucks
Marchant is a 28 year old enforcer center. Jason Smith is a 28 year old defensive defender and pretty decent in the back half. Sucks on offense though. Smyth is a scrubby prospect.

Winner: Oilers
Let me point out how huge this pickup is for the Oilers. Naslund is the highest ranked shooter on the team and it's a way to take some major pressure off youngsters Anson Carter and Ryan Smyth. Who knows, maybe this is the move that pushes Edmonton into the playoffs?

I spend some time hunting around, trying to find out where it was the expectations were for each team. Lo and behold, I find them in the depth charts. Awesome. Let's review that Flyers deal again.

Hmm. I thought they were a Stanley Cup hopeful but they're trying to make the playoffs on a consistent basis. Cliff Ronning is the #2 LW behind John LeClair, the same spot Gagne had. Mike Dunham is the #3 goalie, but acquiring him means they can afford to move out Roman Cechmanek, their borderline #1 goalie, who is the oldest at 30, and the most expensive at $3.33 million a season.

Reviewing Edmonton/Vancouver for the Canucks, Todd Marchant is the #4 center, Jason Smith the #3 defender, Jared Smyth not even on the depth chart, though he's on the team. So a fourth line center, a second line defender, and a scrub for a brilliant goalscorer. Hmm. Evidently Vancouver really believes in their youngster left wingers Daniel Sedin, Jan Hlavac, and Harold Druken.

The other trade that crosses the wire isn't as big, but it may be worth looking at.

Chicago Blackhawks receive
D Karel Rachunek
R Chris Neil

Ottawa Senators receive
R Kyle Calder
Chicago Blackhawks 2002 4th round pick

What this means for the Blackhawks
Rachunek, 22, looks like a respectable defensive prospect. Neil is an enforcer right wing, whose best ability is in fighting. Also 22, he's the 4th right wing and Rachunek looks pretty buried. My guess is he'll hit the AHL this year and work on refining his game. Or at least that's what I'd do.

What this means for the Senators
Calder, now a #3 right wing with Ottawa, is an interesting 22 year old prospect. He's a major upgrade on the third string RW over 32 year old Jody Hull, and between Calder and Marian Hossa, the Senators are looking pretty good on the right side. The 4th round pick from a Chicago team that doesn't look too exciting is only gravy.

Winner: Ottawa
The best player and a pick, even late, = full of win.

We lose $575,497 in the month of August. Considering we had no games, I'll take that.

I'm slowly remembering my way around this game and I'm remembering how much I loved it.

As a bonus before we head into September:

Rumors, rumors!

Simon Sadface Gagne

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote