View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #28
atatange1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Just doing a little forum necromancy of my own...

The Wire is now well into its third season, and things are really starting to click again. For those who have watched all along, the focus is basically back onto the two-sided affair where we started: the West Baltimore drug gangs, and the police detailed to deal with them. But that synopsis is a grave understatement of the intricate and complex relationships that appear on both sides, as well as across the bounds. This show is far and away the deepest thing I have ever seen in television.

After first getting hooked on this show (after several episodes of its first season), I formed the opinion that it was my favorite show on television. After the second season puled me in even further, I think I bumped to thinking that it was probably my favorite television series ever. Now, with the added richness in this third season, I'm starting to think this might be the best thing that has ever been on television, at any time, of any duration. I know I'm totally in the bag for it, but to me, this seems to be the absolute height of what television can do -- there are scenes that are excruciatingly difficult, moments that are intensely funny without being able to easily describe why, and presentations of both sides of issues and people that are just far, far deeper than we have ever had any right to expect.

Not long ago, the DVD with season one was released. For those of you who are into that sort of thing, and think you might find yourself able to get immersed into a very well-done, slowly-developing crime drama... you might consider it as a possible addition to a gift list.

Wow.

I can agree with most of that. It is a very good show.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote