View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #52
revrew
Team Chaplain

The New England game itself was littered with fights, unnecessary roughness calls, and even an ejection. The game was looking tough for the Rebels until Birmingham strong safety, Eric Brown, ripped off a 93-yard fumble return for a touchdown. The momentum shifted, propelling us to a 31-23 win.

In the week that followed, an investigative reporter from Sports Illlustrated finally got the dirt.

The phonecall came to my office the Monday after the New England win. "I'd like to ask you a few questions about the Rebels," he said, and we arranged a lunch meeting.

"Is it true that every player on the roster and every coach graduated from a college in the South?"

"You could probably find that information online," I said.

"I have. And it is true."

"Then why ask what you already know?"

"And is it true that every player on the roster and every coach also grew up in the South?"

"Sounds like you've done your research on that, too."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are they all from the South, and NONE from north of the Mason Dixon line?"

I stared at him for a moment. I had mulled over my answer to this question or years, waiting for it to finally come. "I'm sorry, is that against the NFL rules?"

"Well, no, but it seems this is something you've done intentionally. It's got to be more than a coincidence; someone must have orchestrated this."

He couldn't have put it any more succinctly for my purposes. "Are you going to do a story on this?" I asked.

"You'd better believe it."

"Then make sure you quote me very carefully here. Here, use my pen. Write this down, word for word. You said, 'This is something you've done intentionally. It's got to be more than coincidence. Someone must have orchestrated this.' To which I answer, 'No, this is not something I have done intentionally.' Write that down. I'll wait. No, this is not something I have done intentionally. Yes, it's got to be more than a coincidence. Yes, someone must have orchestrated this."

"Who then?"

"When you find the answer to that, young man, then you'll have the story you're looking for. I have nothing more to say. Good day."

I got up and left. By Thursday, the young man had the front cover article on Sports Illustrated, "Jeffrey Davis and the Real Rebels". If only he knew the half of it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote