View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
A buddy suggested a way to find new music was to go on Spotify, select an artist you like who is not massively popular, click related artists and listen to the 11th artist from that list.

I will say -- cause this came to my attention earlier today -- that it seems like some of the Spotify "recommendations" have gotten better than they used to be.

I'm probably in the upper, I dunno, upper 5%* of time spent honing my awareness of my favored music styles. I'm not easy to catch unaware of hardly anything that has even a chance to interest me, you have to work at it. Work hard even. But I'll admit that one of the Spotify recommended playlists (I think it's called "new releases for you" or something like that) did indeed alert me to something I'd missed for 2-3 weeks.

That pretty much NEVER happened with them before, which I'll take as a sign they've sharpened their algorithms recently.

Now they've got about 3,000 songs worth of added-to-playlist data on me going back about five years so your mileage may vary but I'd say that it's at least worth a shot for most users to check those recommendations now & then. They're definitely not terrible, which I couldn't always have said about them.

*(honestly, I suspect that it much smaller than that even, but I'll be humble)