Thread: eSports
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
In my opinion, the only e-sport that has any appeal to a wider audience than hardcore gamers right now is Rocket League. That is not to say that there aren't enough hardcore gamers out there, but I feel like a game like Rocket League could draw an audience much broader than League of Legends or a FPS.

FPS has the potential to have a better appeal than MOBAs because they are simpler to grasp at the start. League and DOTA just have too many champions and types of strategies. I don't know anything about competitive Rocket League.

League of Legends sells out 50k soccer stadiums in 15 minutes, for now. How long will that last, who knows. 36 million people watched last year's Worlds. 14 million concurrent viewers at its peak for the finals. I don't think League has to deal with problems in its appeal. There are large rumors that have been going around for about a year that the NA and EU league of legends regions are going to franchise lock for the 2017 season. No more relegations. That's why you have Multi millionairs and venture capital money coming into league of legends this year. Rick Fox owns a team. Shaq and A-Rod are minority investors in a team along with some other NBA ownership folks. A non-pro team released salary figures this year, all of their players were making 55-70k/yr, plus a full support staff. The belief is that once teams can't be relegated out of the pro league, it is very possible that companies like Coca Cola start wanting their names on league team jerseys. There is a LOT of money being thrown into this right now compared to a year ago.

Last edited by Radii : 03-31-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote