View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sept 20, 2011
Jamie Mole was selected in the BSB-North Team of the Week first eleven.

Sept 20, 2011 (evening)

Blyth (3rd, 6-1-2) vs Gainsborough (21st, 2-1-6)
The second half of our bottom-feeder twinbill will be at home on the Croft Park pitch. We're a 4:5 favorite and will hope to avoid a letdown. Going to look to rest as many key players as possible in advance of the weekend showdown with 2nd place FC Halifax, but we can't let an easy three points (nor our momentum & morale) get away in the process. Since we're a bit lean on the left side of the midfield at the moment, we'll see if we can manage in the 4-3-1-2 today. We'll also get the first team debuts of both Hartley, Pearson, and Whiteley (and hope their lack of match fitness doesn't become an issue)

GK - Hartley
D: Gallen - Buchanan - D'Laryea - Pearson
MF: Slaughter - Hooks - Whiteley
AMC: McCabe
F: Taylor - Bannister

6:30 - Gallen draws a foul, launches a free kick from high & outside the box on the left on the head of McCabe deep in the right, it's just over the bar. Pretty good look off the set piece after appearing a little tentative early.

09:15 - Disaster. We close down the attempt to get into the box, Buchanan lays an easy pass back to Hartley ... and it rolls untouched into the net for an own goal. Rolling so slowly that a toddler could have caught up to it. (0-1)) Communication breakdown apparently.

16:50 - Whiteley holds up play in his own end (something we rarely do), waits, waits, and fires a long ball meant for Bannister down the right side but the defender Sandwidth is going to get there first ... Bannister tips it free into the box and is immediately dumped by Sandwidth in the tangle ... foul called on Sandwidth ... and a penalty ... and a yellow ... spot kick saved easily with just one step & a small jump to the right. We botch the ensuing throw-in and another opportunity wasted

19:50 - Free kick from beyond the arc for Gallen ... puts it harmlessly high & over
26:30 - Slaughter plays a ball into the box for Taylor, he's alone ... great save denies us again

Halftime - We've outshot them 5-2 on 58% possession, although managed little in the latter portions of the half. Neither team has completed a single cross all day (and several of ours have looked pitiful). Gallen, McCabe and Bannister all rated under 6. We're probably lucky not to be behind by more and I'm none too happy at the moment. Switch to the standard 4-4-2, sub Cave on for Gallen.

48:30 - Free kick by D'Laryea from near the touchline out high ... onto the head of Cave but it's just a bit high & wide left. Another nice look, just couldn't quite finish.

58:30 - Nice give & go with Taylor & Slaughter but Taylor puts the shot way wide. Taylor also picked up a yellow a few minutes earlier ... but it's going to be Bannister that we bring off with Chinthengah coming on to try to find some spark as we go to Attack mode. Probably ought to get McCabe out as well but I'm trying to hold one sub back for just a little longer.

73:55 - Vipond on for McCabe
83:36 - Vipond cranks off a shot from the top of the arc, nice velocity but insufficient targeting, harmlessly high. They're in full on time wasting mode now.
85:38 - Whiteley certainly hustling hard, gets shoved down by Roma and draws a foul to end a threat. We'll Overload for the finish with 4 mins of extra time coming.
90:00+ - Nothing doing to this point, our runs end with crappy passes.

Fulltime - Unbelievable. I assertively make it clear to the team that our effort was simply not good enough & that we should have won the match. I also make sure to go have a private word with Slaughter, Hooks, D'Laryea and Pearson to let them know that I appreciated their effort. Truth is, mad as I am, not everybody sucked as hard as a few guys did.

Hartley 6.6
Gallen 5.8, Buchanan 6.7, D'Laryea 6.8, Pearson 6.9
Slaughter 6.7, Hooks 6.6, Whiteley 6.6
McCabe 5.7
Taylor 6.6, Bannister 5.6
Subs: Cave 6.6, Chinthengah 6.5, Vipond 6.4

Sept 20, 2011 (post-match)
This probably won't be pretty, and I figure the press may actually be easier on me than the supporters will. Turns out the reporters were pretty lenient.
To my surprise, the supporters are only "slightly concerned" after the loss. That's a lot more big picture view than I've been able to take.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote