View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
Blyth (10th, 7-1-6) vs Eastwood (21st, 3-4-7)

We haven't won a league match since shocking FC Halifax, so this one feels a good bit bigger than it might have otherwise. On paper I'd think we have a chance, even with the loss of Phillips who had quietly solidified our lineup on the left side. They aren't a team that scores a lot (15 goals/14 games) so maybe just maybe Mole and/or Armstrong can provide enough here. The bookies don't agree, making the Badgers a 6:4 favorite even at Croft Park.

We're going to roll the dice again today, giving Johnson the start in net. Expect to flip flop Kendrick & Slaughter at some point depending upon how thingsgo. Also taking the fans concerns with Emms into consideration here although frankly I think we'll miss him on corners particularly. Emms, Knight, Purvis, Taylor, and Giddings are available as subs. 4-4-2 Standard

GK - Johnson
D: Slaughter - Jones - Mellish - Groves
MF: Kendrick - Matondo - Hooks - Vipond
F: Armstrong - Mole

16:20 - Groves gets a ball forward to Mole, who bangs a pass off Caines for a corner. Neither team has a shot to this point. Still don't, as Vipond fires the corner over everyone & out of play.

18:14 - Armstrong on the run into the penalty area, finally feeds to Mole who puts a diving header back out to Matondo to the left of the spot, a thunderous blast sails high

28:02 - A low cross from Istead ... Maloney finds a couple of inches of spaces, wheels & fires from the spot... just past a diving Johnson to his right (0-1). That all started with Jones getting dispossessed at misfield on a slick tackle by Knox

31:30 - Vipond plays a pass down the channel to Mole ... he goes deep and then crosses into the area for Kendrick ... header into the ground, bounces up & past Sambridge (1-1). If that was intentional it was pretty slick.

37:28 - Jones with a horrible looking long pass into the zone on the right side ... Mole manages to run it down somehow ... cross to the near post for Armstrong ... GOAL !!! (2-1)

45:00+ - Eastwood springs a man past the last defender, clear for a bit but he waits on Johnson to commit, that gives Jones time to catch up & he rushes the shot over the bar as the minute of added time expires

Halftime - The difference in this one so far has been Mole, playing for the first time today as a deep lying forward rather than as an attacking forward. He's been sharp enough to set up a pair of goals, matching his assist total for the season to date. We've only outshot them 4-2 but the two on target tries have been highly productive. We've got the better of control (54%) and our crosses have been better (28% to 10%), all leading to the advantage. I tell the team I'm happy with how things are going, just keep it up. They mostly look delighted ... I'll be happier if they give me more of the same in the second half, not going to touch anything at the moment.

49:30 - Nice tackle by Slaughter, quickly plays a long ball to Armstrong in space ... only the keeper to beat ... he doesn't strike it cleanly & it bends wide to the left. That was a blown chance to break things open right there.

52:20 - Vipond corner kick from the left, they manage to clear but Armstrong runs it down about 40 yds away, gives it back to Vipond who fires ... high & over. Had the keeper beaten if he could have kept it down.

56:33 - Armstrong with an interception & open space into the area on the left side. Shoots it wide again.
57:58 - Vipond with a blast from the top right corner of the area ... inches wide
58:52 - Hooks plays a loose ball just beyond the arc ... fires high & wide left
63:04 - Slaughter goes down & is ordered off for treatment ... Sub Emms on for Slaughter (Kendrick to LWB, rest of the MF shifts one spot left)
65:52 - Mole gets a yellow card for a trip ... we'll switch to Counter for just a bit ... I think I know the plan from here, just need a little more time to pass
73:11 - Keane knocks Mole down, a little retaliation perhaps? Keane visits with the referee and gets a yellow card of his own.
Sub Giddings on for Mole (Matondo to F, Kendrick back to MF)
74:40 - Kendrick free kick to Mellish, tries to volley on the run & misses wide
88:50 - A dangerous shot from about 20 yards out cannons off the crossbar, Jones manages to head it back upfield, we were very nearly tied
89:33 - Corner upcoming after Matondo got off a shot ... we switch to Defensive and hope to bring on Taylor for Hooks (Matondo back to MF)
3 minutes of injury time coming up
90:39 - Emms corner flies over everyone & out. Taylor makes it on.
Fulltime - Assistants aren't as happy as I am, I cautiously give the club a well done. Certainly feels better than the atmosphere after recent matches, caliber of opponent be damned. 11-4 shot edge, 60% of possession, this went about as well as we could have hoped for frankly.

Johnson 6.8
Slaughter 6.9, Jones 7.1, Mellish 6.9, Groves 7.3
Kendrick 7.8 & 1 goal, Matondo 6.8, Hooks 6.8, Vipond 6.9
Armstrong 7.3 & 1 goal, Mole (MOM) 7.8 and 2 assists
Subs: Giddings 6.8, Emms 6.5, Taylor N/A

Nov 5, 2011 (post-match)
Standard presser afterwards. Not much time to enjoy this one I'm afraid, have to turn around & play Hinckley on Wednesday night. Schedule oddity coming up, back to back Wednesday matches but nothing on the Saturday in between.