View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 04:08 AM   #266
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Paris Masters: Third Round

Girsh started things out with a masterful performance, crushing Marcelo Herrera with a two-breadstick thumping. He won 55% of his return points, allowing only seven on his own serve, and another hopeful crashed out. It was a pattern that would repeat throughout the day. Smitala lost routinely to Mockler, ending his run. Roger Federer did better against Marcek, but his serve was much less effective than usual allowing him to get surprisingly out-aced 16-7, and he converted only 1 of 7 break points. As a result, he dropped a close match 7-6(6), 6-3. With that, Thiago Herrera didn't need to do anything to confirm his place as the final qualifier, but he brushed aside Caminha anyway as all eight of the top seeds reached the quarterfinals.

The Race is over, but I did notice one thing. I forgot that the points from last year's Tour Finals don't drop off for another week after Paris. Practically speaking, this means that Mehul will become #1 for that week and that week only if he wins the title. Cheap? Possibly. But I'd still take it. Just barely getting there would be better than not making it at all! With all of the best players still alive for the moment, the possibility is still there but much work remains.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote