View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2044 WTC Preview

Sri Lanka ends the year 10th in the world rankings, up three spots from last year. A quarterfinal exit stunted a more sizable rise, and we're hoping for better this year. After looking at the draw though, that will take some considerable luck.

Sri Lanka is in the this season's group of death, Group 3. We'll have to deal with #1 Czech Republic, defending world champions, and #3 Germany, who knocked us out last season. They better not have clay when we play them, is all I have to say. The fourth in this group is recently promoted Sweden, ranked 12th and no slouch.

Merely getting out of group play could well get dicey. The Czechs will probably beat us, Sweden should go down pretty easily -- it is likely to come down to us or Germany. Looking ahead, we get them in the second round ... on grass. Thank goodness. I like our chances there, but it's absolutely ridiculous that either us or them won't even make it out of the group stage. I like us to finish second behind the Czechs, which will mean facing a tough quarterfinal(but, if it works out that way, NOT Germany on clay which has been our fatal matchup the last two years).

In the other groups:

** The US(2nd) will walk through Mexico(8th) and Denmark(17th) but could be tested by rising Peru(11th).

** Serbia(25th) will get blasted by an interesting trio vying for two places: Argentina(4th), Spain(5th), and Austria(6th)

** The final group has no real powers, and showcases the fact that we need to get our ranking up a few more spots to avoid a repeat of this year's unpleasantness. France(7th), Italy(9th), Russia(13th), and Switzerland(15th). I have no idea who comes out of there. All of them have a chance to advance -- or end up having to go to the playoffs.

I'd love to switch places with anyone in that 4th group. It's a rather paradoxical scenario in which we have the #1 and #5 players in the world -- but the rankings favor us to lose in group play. We need a big year to stop that nonsense, and could easily be up to 4th or 5th at worst if we get it. The nations above us are packed together tightly -- we're just not quite there yet.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote