View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Dodgers have made their first trade of the offseason. It's not terribly important except....

LA sends last years #1 pick Kurt Stillwell (.276/0/22 19SB between Rookie and A) along with P Mike Jones (8-5 4.93 100.1IP in AAA) who is a modest prospect who was a Class A Pitcher of the Year one year ago to the Phillies for infielder Tim Flannery (.268/0/11) and enough cash to offset about 1/4th of his salary. Flannery was a starter for the Padres a year ago, and the word is he thinks he should be in the mix for LA. Except that at best, he's behind a whole bunch of other players. Not sure how or why on this one.

Dodgers Free Agency

From a fans perspective this is a scary offseason with Pedro Guerrero becoming a free agent. He stands as the probably the biggest name hitting free agency this year, and by finishing 2nd for the MVP, he made up a large portion of the offense for the team. I really don't want to see him go.

Bob Welch is a staff ace. He may not be the #1 here, but he is good enough to be one somewhere else. Again, as important as he was last year, I really don't want to see him go. After that...

It's Dusty Baker. Baker had a few good games, and added a lot down the stretch, but his 1.4 WAR is probably replaceable and at 34 that number isn't going up anytime soon. There's not a lot of depth behind him however.

And then there's Ron Cey, a guy who went from hitting 29 HR's and had a 4.9 WAR in 1982 to losing his job and only 99 AB in 1983. The Penguin was our last out of 1983, and he's probably gone, but what happens if Guerrero goes? He could easily be a starter again.

Last is Doc Medich. A guy we gave up Ken Landreaux to get and who was going to be the #5 starter initially, but ended up being a long guy out of the bullpen until late in the season. Medich will be 35 in the spring, and he's put some good years in and is fairly reliable for innings. As deep as our staff is though, I just don't see a situation where he comes back again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote