View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #527
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That season came from nowhere. Harbaugh was the quarterback then. I was a senior, and the sports editor of the UM Yearbook that year. So I was in the press box for the home games. Bo Schembechler wouldn't talk to me ("yearbook?" he frowned, walking away from me after a game).

It was right after the 6-6 1984 season with the close loss to #1 BYU in the Holiday Bowl. That was Michigan's only non-winning record from pre-Schembechler until the Rich Rodriguez disaster. No one expected anything, then they opened with a huge comeback win against Notre Dame, then off to South Carolina, which was a tough place to play and they were ranked.

I took our lead photographer on a road trip to Columbia, driving all night. Michigan blew them out, and all of a sudden the season looked promising. All that was left was Hayden Fry's best-ever team and the season-ender at Ohio State.

Iowa was the only game I didn't get to see in person, other than the bowl game in Arizona. By then, the Hawkeyes were #1 and Michigan was #2. Iowa dominated that game far more than the score indicated, but couldn't put the ball into the end zone. A Harbaugh touchdown pass had the Wolverines ahead most of the way. Iowa kicked its fourth field goal as time expired for a 12-10 win.

A couple of weeks later, we took another long drive to Champaign for a disappointing 3-3 tie. Even in the '80s, that halftime ceremony with Chief Illiniwek was something to behold - like "who thought that was a good idea?" He was retired in 2007.

The other games were a lot easier. Michigan gave up only 98 points all season while going 10-1-1. Iowa was 10-2 after losing in the Rose Bowl. They beat Iowa State, 57-3, that year.

This year? After that thumping in the Big Ten Championship, they've got to be looking forward to this one. That defense is legit and even though Michigan leads the nation in scoring, they haven't seen anything close to legit yet. The starting QB from last season is injured, but the backup is a 5-star prospect (McCarthy) who is already looking even better. I don't know what to expect.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote