View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #680
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
The Big Ten has always put a focus on their strong academics. So that's probably why people talk about "academic fit". Do I think it has anything to do with their current expansion? No. They are solely in it to open up new markets just as every other conference will look to do in the very near future. Hence why I originally laughed at MBBF's statement regarding "meeting the Big Ten's standards for admission".

I agree that the Big Ten as a conference certainly claims it puts a focus on their strong academics. Then again, the NCAA claims to be all about the "student athlete" too. It's all a bunch of malarky. The Big Ten and NCAA are all about the Benjamins. This is expansion talk is all about $$$$.

Also, while I understand when a Conference would play up its academics and say it focuses on strong academics, since, you know, they are univserities at all, I just find fans bragging or engaging in pissing matches about their conference's academics (or any college's academics, other than their own alma matter or university) to be really, really odd and silly. But, people brag and engage in pissing matches about more ridiculous things.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote