View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #233
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone have tips for mixing in veggies with meals? I just don't like them and have trouble eating them plain. I usually will steam some and basically hold my nose, but I'd love to find a way to make some things more appealing without dousing it in cheese.

A few things that have worked well for me:

-when eating pasta (I stick with whole wheat pasta, by the way, tons better for you), I go about half pasta and half vegetables -- peas, broccoli, or a mix of things. If I have about a cup of cooked WW pasta and a cup of frozen peas, topped with fairly low fat pasta sauce and a handful of olives -- that feels like a rewarding meal to me.

-I throw leafy greens into foods I am sauteeing with good success... especially spinach. I'm warming up to eating spinach in a lot of situations, but it is fairly easily hidden in with breakfast potatoes, peppers and onions, soup, or whatnot.

-try a green smoothie, using frozen fruit and some combination of green vegetables that you can live with (and perhaps a protein source)... with just a little common sense, it's fairly easy to spin together a fruity drink that tastes great and pretty much hides the taste of even the roughest greens (kale, collards, etc)... I will add some weirdo stuff like spirulina or hemp powder to mine, but that's not essential at all

-use flavorful additions... my standard rotation is something like hummus, guacamole, sauteed onions and peppers with garlic, salsa, and tabouleh.

Good luck.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote