View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

September 9, 2016

The follow up with my main oncologist, Dr. Reddy. This time the pathology was back and I learned that I have and ALK Mutation. ALK Mutations occur in about %4 of all lung cancer patients. It is much more common in young non-smokers and it is more common in Asia (I've never even been to Asia...but ok).

This is good and bad news:

The good news is there are 2 ALK inhibitors that are approved and available for treatment (I believe there is a 3rd that is currently in a clinical trail). So I'll will be on one of these drugs which will limit the impact of the side effects.

The bad news - This can't be cured - There is never a full remission. Life now becomes a effort at maintenance. Taking my drugs on a daily bases and constant monitoring for effectiveness. Similar to someone with heart disease or blood pressure issues.

Also at some point the ALK targeted medication will cease to work, either because it just becomes ineffective, or because the cells mutate again.

Dr. Reddy also informed me that Emory has a clinical trail going on that I might be a candidate for and he urged me to go see Dr. Ramalingam (one of the top lung cancer doctors in the world). So I scheduled an appointment for the 13th.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote