View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #92
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: 2081 Free Agency Fire Sale
Cap space is a problem, a big one this off-season. We spent about $25M too little in 2076, '77 and '78 and we're paying for it dearly this season. Four of our best (albeit aged) players are on the block. Center Nicky Sherman, wide receiver Brody Stevens and linebacker Antonio Battle were already listed, but cornerback Alonzo Hitchcock has joined the list.

We'll have to move them all to be able to get under the cap and have at least some room to work with. Trading away the two second and one third round picks for a 2083 first round pick of the Outer Banks Ospreys gives some cap relief, about $4.5M. We're still at $53.74M over the cap.

Putting Hitchcock on the block is also a result of spending both first round picks on cornerbacks. Kirk Hitchcock (#11) and Tre Poloski (#14) are the top two graded cornerbacks this draft and hopefully can boost what has been such a disappointing unit. Of course, it'll take a season or three for them to really become top-notch, but we've got a guy or three good enough to play around them.

I'm pessimistic about the chances to salvage this team though. Aside from quarterback Ellis McAlister, there are several other players likely to go into hold out more. Walt Blair and his concussion syndrome wants $10M more than his current last year of contract, I think at best I can get him to sign for $7M more. Then there's defensive tackle Chandler Posante, currently signed for just $3.81M on the last year of his rookie contract and asking for his $100M contract, with a $14.4M cap figure this season. But McAlister is the biggest risk, signed for $11.7M and desiring $36.4M. We'll have to let these guys go regardless, I'm afraid. It's unusual, but we might have to sacrifice even more than just the quarterback this time...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote