View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #198
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager notes: Playoff bound, seriously?
Not so long ago, I reported that we were trying to crawl out of a deep hole dug by our lack of ability to win close games. Now, I'm telling you we'll need a some serious bad luck to avoid the playoffs. Let's rephrase, we've done well enough lately that we're in a very good position to be able to reach the playoffs. What's up with that?

First of all, the defense finally woke up. Sample size is small to get overly enthusiastic, but a revived game plan might be at least somewhat of a cause here. We've gone on a serious stretch of good showings to improve from worst defense in the league after 5 games to slightly above average after 11 games. Which means we must have played quite a bit above average in the last 6 games to get there. We've had one horrible quarter against the Gothenburg Giants (3 long drives all for touchdowns), but for the most part it's been between good, pretty good and at the very least Merchantmen worthy.

Offensively, Reggie Thongchanh has stepped it up quite a bit. After two games of riding the bench, we've given him the ball quite a lot and he's responded our confidence with 4 more 100-yard games and 9 touchdowns in the last 6 games. Theodore Bondy saw his streak of 100-yard games end in a home game against Bordeaux, where he left the field injured with just 52 yards on 7 catches, then missing the follow up road game at Gothenburg, which we lost by lack of having an alternative game plan ready to roll out.

European Divison:
1. Maassluis 7-4
2. Paris 7-4
3. Gothenburg 4-7
4. Bordeaux 3-8

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we've crawled all the way back to the top, posting a firm 33-24 road victory at the Paris Musketeers and pulling an unexpected shutout victory over the Bordeaux Vineyards. In the process, we've also managed a road victory at the stout Chicago Norsemen defense and overcame a peculiarly horrible showing from Ellis McAlister (5 interceptions!) with a 21-20 win at the Harlem Apollos.

Yes, despite the victories, McAlister has really struggled. His passer rating in these last six games only once topped 72.3, he hasn't even sniffed at 300 yards. Our running game isn't just a welcome surprise, I think it a necessity to keep defenses honest.

Have we pulled McAlister in that series? Oh yes, our staff once again decided to throw our kick holder miserably excuse for a quarterback out there, despite that we have a promising rookie active. For a change, Francisco Farley can be reasonably displeased about not getting some playing time. Of course, we should never accept that our staff pulls a proven winning quarterback at half time in a favor of whatever we have on the bench, never ever. I'm still trying to figure out who's been responsible for this inexcusable decision. When Theodore Bondy is inactive due to injury, the worst thing we can do is take away our second most important player of the offense. Yes, I'm still non-amused.

But enough about our loss against the Giants, we've re-established ourselves with 6 wins in the last 7 games. With head-to-head victories over basically all the AOC teams in pursuit of the wild card places, we're in a favorable situation to at least reach the playoffs. Our week 15 clash with the Musketeers, in Oranje Haven, will be crucial for the division title tie-breakers. Mathematically, the Giants can still pass us in a week 17 head-to-head clash at their place. I mean, it wouldn't be the last time we pulled that kind of stunt of a choke job.

I hope we can figure out where we can make some improvements to McAlister's ability to find other players through the air than Theodore Bondy. And if he does, how we can make Bondy improve on his unsatisfying 6.9 yards per target. A player of his caliber should be able to sniff at 10 yards per target, but at least get way north of 8.5 to 9.0 per target. Wouldn't that be something, finding a way to have Bondy play up to his potential? Sure, 2,449 yards in a single season (last season) isn't shabby at all, but with his skills, he should be able to get 450 yards more, or open up the field for our other wide receivers to combine for that yardage.

For now, we'll cherish this somewhat unexpected, yet very logical revival. For a day or two and then get on with it: the next 8 or 9 games of this season. That should be our goal. We can do this, Merchantmen.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-11-2020 at 04:50 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote