View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #295
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Lose some, win some
And today we won, but it didn't come easy.

The opening day victory feels like it was months ago. And looking at the schedule, it kind of was, we had 3 road games and a bye week since our optimism rising victory over the Bordeaux Vineyards. Today the opposing team came from Rochester, the Razorbacks were visiting Oranje Haven.

We're still going with Moe Sheldon ahead of Brandon Bell, although I have to admit I was really tempted to rethink this decision based on today's performance. And then there was my rant after our previous game about how underwhelming the running game, the passing game, the run defense, the pass rush, well, basically the entire team has been doing in the totality of the 4 games already behind us.

We got the ball first and our kick off returner Santiago Messenger showed why we made him our #1 guy, moving the ball 27 yards forward. But our first drive wasn't as impressive, Francisco Patter ran three times, but his third and one attempt was stuffed. The special teams unit responded by nailing the Rochester punt returner. We thought we stopped them on their first drive at midfield, but Clayton Jackson was called for illegal use of hands. We gave up a 15-yard pass and then on third and one an 8-yard run. Then on third and 13, we allowed a 14-yard pass to have them set up rookie harry Hicks' touchdown run for a 7-0 Rochester lead. Messenger replied with a 30-yard kick off return. Moe Sheldon completed a pass to Clay Gaynor for 11 yards then a 4-yarder to move the chains again, Patter converted third and two and then Sheldon found Gaynor for 25 yards to march into their red zone. Francisco Patter tried to run it in, but lost the ball halfway there. So much for that scoring opportunity to lower or brush away the 7-0 deficit...

Rochester moved the chains a couple of times, but coming all the way from their 2-yard line, they eventually had to punt, but put us right back to where we started. But not for long as Reggie Thongchanh returned the punt for 13 yards and followed up with a 17-yard run. Moe Sheldon then found Branden Sandlin for a 26-yard gain. On third and six, Sheldon found Theodore Bondy, but he got basically nowhere. We then went for it on fourth and five, but again the completed pass did not earn a first down. Second play of their drive, we give up a 26-yard run, but a couple of plays later on third and two close to field goal range, our off-season star signing Jackie Richardson comes up with the interception and even runs it back to our 48-yard line. Reggie Thongchanh continues to be the guy making the big gains on the ground, but Francisco Patter recovers a bit with a neat catch and the drive finally results in a touchdown as Theodore Bondy makes the 14-yard reception to level the score 7-7. The defense then comes up big on third and short to quickly give us the ball back. We had a little scare as Thongchanh loses the ball after an 18-yard punt return, but thankfully recovers it himself. Patter then runs for 12 yards, but it's way too little to inspire the passing game. Then Oranje Haven burst afterall as on another third down pass, a pick happens: this time it's Riddick Newsome on the spot and he runs it the full 46 yards back for the touchdown and a 14-7 half time lead!

Second half, Rochester to get the ball first. We think we stopped them, but on fourth and second from well inside their own territory, they take the risk and come up with a 16-yard screen pass play to maintain possession. It turns out to be a crucial play, as they eventually have a 22-yard pass to move into our red zone and finish it off with an 8-yard touchdown pass for the 14-14 tied score. Moe Sheldon responds with a 9-yard pass to Harris Wilkerson, but a nasty sack moves us back, forcing us to punt, pinning them at their own 5-yard line. On their first play of the drive, they decide to run and we almost tackle their running back in the end zone, but it turns out he's still about a yard shy of giving up 2 points. It seems to be good enough to end it there, but on the punt return soon after, Reggie Thongchanh fumbles it after a 17yard run at their 27-yard line. The defense responds well and after another three and out, we get the ball back at midfield as Thongchang makes a 20-yard punt return. Sheldon this time connects succesfully on third down to Theodore Bondy, twice. However, we eventually have to settle for a 32-yard field goal, which rookie Mark Giles converts for the 17-14 lead.

To start the fourth quarter, our defense comes up with another three and out. Our offense makes nothing of it though and on their next drive, Rochester quickly marches away from their red zone. We force them to punt after all and as Reggie Thongchanh pulls of a 26-yard punt return, we're winning the field position battle. Moe Sheldon connects with Theodore Bondy on third down for 17 yards and we quickly move into field goal range. Sadly, Mark Giles misses the 42-yarder and we're still leading only 17-14. After three and out, we start smelling the victory, so we think, although we do get pinned deep after an impressive punt. Thongchanh runs for 11 yards and Sheldon finds Santiago Messenger for 14 yards to get away from our red zone and into the two-minute warning. After we burn their time outs, we punt and put them at their 34-yard line with 96 seconds to play. On fourth and eight, they stay alive with a 13-yard pass. 32 seconds remaining, they throw for 10 yards and a penalty on our end makes it a free play. We then allow a 16-yard pass and as they rush on their kicking unit, the 42-yard field goal attempts is scored to force overtime with a 17-17 score.

Second play of our first possession, Moe Sheldon finds Harris Wilkerson and he turns the short pass into a 48-yard gain. Next up, Sheldon finds Santiago Messenger for 20 yards and we're at the very least into field goal range. It's where it also ends though, as our special teamer Sherman Bridges is stupidly allowed to get on the field and he drops a pass in the end zone. Mark Giles converts the 26-yard field goal and with the 20-17 lead, we're still in good shape. We allow them to start their drive at their 24-yard line. They convert on third and five, but are still far away. On second down, their quarterback scrambles to move the chains. The defense does the job, but on fourth and six, they extend the game with an 8-yard pass. Our defense continues to run havoc though, pressuring their quarterback on and off, forcing them to make a decision on fourth and 10. Apparently unconfident in their kicker, they dismiss the opportunity to tie it with a 57-yarder and instead go for it. The pressure is on once again and after a botches pass, the game is finally over: Maassluis 20, Rochester 17.

A much deserved win, but we made it a lot harder for ourselves than it needed to be. We brushed away the turnovers with turnovers, but I think we proved to be the better team and simply failed to show it on the scoreboard with a solid score.

Moe Sheldon completed 25 of 34 passes for 259 yards and a score, while avoiding turnovers. Theodore Bondy made 9 catches, but gained only 60 yards, yet did score. Harris Wilkerson lead the team with 73 yards on 5 catches, rookie Clay Gaynor had 4 catches for 45 yards. Reggie Thongchanh was the leading rusher with 57 yards on 10 carries, Francisco Patter was held to 41 yards on 20 carries. The running backs combined for 3 fumbles, although Thong' had both on punt returns. It makes my decision earlier in the off-season to cut Courtney Blackwell a bit more of a headscratcher though.

The defense gave up 318 total yards, of which 135 on the ground at an 3.9 yards per carry average (our best run defense showing of the season). The pass defense was actually pretty good, giving up 183 net yards passing, the defensive line collected no less than 15 hurried passes, 1 blocked pass and 1 sack on 47 pass plays. The defense also defended 7 passes and collected 2 interceptions. Got to be pretty happy about that at the end of the day, no?

Elsewhere in the league, the Gothenburg Giants did manage to win 19-17 at the North Plainfield Plague, showing how it's done with 507 total yards of offense, albeit making it slightly harder than necessary with sloppy red zone offense. The Bordeaux Vineyards beat the Harlem Apollos 24-17, the Paris Musketeers lost 10-6 at the Toronto Lake Monsters, our opponents next week.

Standings:
1. Gothenburg 4-2
2. Bordeaux 3-2
3. Maassluis 2-3
4. Paris 1-4

A good, victory. The score was way too close for how much better we were, or so I think. It basically continues the sloppiness of the previous 3 games and continues my disappointment in my staff to get the best out of my players. It's troublesome that I actually continue to feel like I have to make that game plan all by myself, sensing that as talented as my staff should be, they really have no clue how football in the IHOF is to be played. So it goes, such is life in the league and with the Merchantmen. We'll struggle along and in week 7 get a chance to shift back to .500 land, which is despite their 1-win record, not an easy task.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote