View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

I forgot to mention in my edit - the Objective I discarded after Season 1.

I hemmed and hawed on this - the Gentleman's Group would be the smartest play given the Kennels got eaten. But we lucked out with the Flower Room last game, and the Monuments are almost always gobbled up by the AI, so I discard that instead. Even if I get a Monument, that's only 3 VP - not enough to move the needle.

After Season 1, the shift of Service tiles to the Market Reserve happens, which has a major impact on the board. To wit:

Very interesting market - Estate tiles haven't really come up much this game so far.

Round 1, Season 2
Last game, I passed on this turn. This go-round, I have a sizable hand so passing doesn't really make sense. I could flip the Front Parlour with a game of Whist, but then I remember I was short on staff last time. This also feels like a good spot to hire a couple more Lady's Maids, since I have a lot of women who require that type of service.

Yeah, let's do that. I play the Butler's Room, which lets me buy any two servants of the Lady's Maid, Valet, or Footman in the base game. I grab two ladies' maids.

Away go the Riding Stables. Too bad - that's a neat little tile.

Round 2, Season 2
Time to draw the two Objective cards:

...Wow. Great call by me to hire the two maids last turn - that's 6 Victory Points in my back pocket already in Season 2. Service tiles are presently 3 VP; Sporting tiles 1 VP. And so far, we haven't had any money engines (such as an American heiress or a Prestige guest with fatty cash) show up. Might be slim pickings this time for Objective VPs - in line with the average.

Story Mode
Following the expansion to a stunning eight servants, the Ponsonbys decided to return to the most popular form of entertainment in Derbyshire - bowling. Elizabeth Fairchild was game for a game. Recognizing the importance of making sure Miss Fairchild enjoyed her time at the bowls, Countess Mabel arranged for the gregarious, yet clumsy and naive Sir Thomas Ralphs to be her opponent.

This decision was a shrewd machination on multiple levels. Sir Thomas's fumbling fingers guaranteed Miss Fairchild would win, his volubility would ensure sparkling conversation, and his utter innocence no doubt gave Miss Fairchild a sense of superiority over the unknowing man.

The plan proceeded precisely as expected and additionally helped restock the estate's coffers - though it went unspent for the moment.

Game Mechanics Notes
The State Room, which I planned to buy next turn, got eaten. Shoot. Oh well, still an attractive market.

Round 3, Season 2
Now it's time to pass. I spent three servants last turn, and I don't have the Servants' Quarters to pull a freebie from there.

With the 600 pounds on hand, I purchase the Lionheart Suite. Intriguing tile that I haven't played yet.

Crud. Next tile that shows up - Garden Maze. And sure enough, the AI nails the roll to buy it. They're now at 11 Estate points, which crushes us if it comes up in the next courtship. The Hanovers will be at 16 in Courtship 3 and at final courtship. So there's literally no point in buying Estate tiles now. Especially since that's a 14 point gap from here on out.

Round 4, Season 2
Story Mode
An array of possibilities lay before the family now that their entire staff was on hand. After much conversation and debate, they opted to - just as they had with the Heritage Guest Suite - make immediate use of the Lionheart Suite.

News of the palatial room reached the ears of the lovable, one-legged Viscountess Hazel of Crosse. Though thought highly of, Hazel was a spinster whose age and deformity meant she received little in the way of male attention or company. Hence, she thrilled at the chance to stay in the Lionheart Suite and be personally attended one-on-one by the Ponsonby's handsome (in her eyes), single butler.

So delighted was the Viscountess of Crosse that she told literally everyone in Derbyshire of the family's kindnesses and the absolutely wonderful service she received. She also made a sizable donation to the manor's treasury, "Because you've made me a happier woman than I've been in years. My own staff is ever so grumbling and sullen about the extra care I need."

Game Mechanics
Okay, so the Lionheart Suite needs a little explanation:

You draw a Prestige Guest and play it on the Suite - You don't need to provide service because the Butler is so good at it. And as far as I know, you don't need to match the Reputation because of how prestigious it is to have such a luxurious room to stay in. That guest's favors are then doubled.

In terms of this draw, that's an entire 1.1 levels of Reputation and 200 pounds. Money is meh, but that rep jump leaps us to 4.2. We're well on pace to reach max level (7 in standard game) by the end of the game - 4 points for Reputation level, so 28 VP.

[u]Story (Continued)[/b]
Word soon spread throughout Derbyshire. Elizabeth Fairchild had such a wonderful time thoroughly besting Sir Thomas Ralphs (in multiple ways) that sporting activities became her new great passion. And though neither the Ponsonbys nor the Hanovers had any great recreational facilities, nor did anyone else in Derbyshire. And so Elizabeth Fairchild vowed to return again at the soonest opportunity.

Game Mechanics (Continued)
What a cheap, dinky courtship victory - 2 points to 1. But that's the way it goes sometimes. Luck holds court here.

It'd take a miracle now to get the Gentleman's Group, so I toss that Objective card.

Which reminds me - see the Lionheart Suite flipping into a Monument. By discarding the 3 VP for Monuments objective, I cost myself 3 points. Elmo shrug gif. It happens.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote