View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Ok time to get up to date, first off to finish up on the Pinnacle game. After the scoreless first quarter, we drove to the pinnacle 46 and Jamal D popped an inside trap for the score from there. We kicked off and Pinnacle answered with a solid drive of their own getting inside our 20 before we stiffened and held on 4th down. This is were the aforementioned run by Jamal D took place.

We scored on the first trap from unbalanced as the Defense overplayed the unbalanced side, so we came out in it again. My first play was strong side power (66 gap in our terminology, which indicates the blocking adjustment as well) This went for 6, so I called 50 trap again on 2nd and 4 from our own 19. Jamal seriously broke 9 tackles as he got stuffed, reversed field and then sprinted to paydirt. (I promise I will get a video up)

We stuffed them and after a bad snap on a punt took over at their 21. On our second play Louis G found our TE Jesse M on strong boot from 16 yards out to give us a 21 - 0 Halftime lead.

In the third Pinnacle put a nice drive together converting 2 3rd and long situations and scored on one of our staples, weakside boot. This was particularly aggravating since we see it so much and they ran it three times on this drive and we could not cover it. On the play they scored on we even know it was coming and were telling the kids to watch for it. Everything bad becomes a good coaching opportunity though and we talked through it in films and got it fixed. They went for 2 to make it 21-8.

We got the ball and promptly took it right back down the field. They were really flowing hard to the ball now trying to create a turnover, so I called Counter for the first time. (I had just put it in the week of the game) It worked like a charm for 19 yards with Shayne M the ball carrier. 2 plays later it was Shayne again taking it home from 21 yards out on strongside sweep. The snap on the extra point was bad and Louis executed our "fire" play to perfection, hitting Jesse M for the 2 pt conversion. (Fire is our automatic on a bad snap) We then stopped Pinnacle on their next drive, when Jacon S picked off a 4th down desperation pass and went back to work. The highlight of the drive was another solid run (20 yds) by Shayne M on strongside counter. This was the last play of the game as they called with 1:03 left in the 3rd quarter due to lightning, giving us the 29 - 8 win.

Stats through 2 games

VS Maryvale
Rushing 24 - 263 yds, 6 TD
Passing 0 - 1

@ Pinnacle
Rushing 19 - 261 yds, 3 TD
Passing 4 - 6 for 28 yds, 1 TD

Leaders
Rushing
Jamal D: 12 - 174, 3 TD's
Shayne M: 11 - 150, 3 TD's
Andrew J: 1 - 74, 1 TD