View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #49
BYU 14
Coordinator

We have gotten some good work done against the spread option this week. The Lobos line up exclusively in 4 wide, QB under center and a FB. They run both veer and dive option, as well as speed option with no motion from the slots. Their passing game seems to be basically limited to releasing 3-4 on vertical routes and trying to find seams. The will also throw the bubble screen to either the motion back or the FB.

Our main priority the last two practices defensively have been working on the option. Our DE's need to recognize veer quickly, squueze down and tackle the the FB when they run this scheme. We also have a LBer and secondary shift in to place ourselves in better position against both speed and dive. Speed option is easier, DE's to the QB right now, inside LBer's feather the QB to pitch and outside LB'er straight to pitch, with the safety rotating to cover playside seam for option pass. Jesse M has been nails from his DE position reading this and Malik has gotten better, though we need to work some more on his technique. I didn't like the pursuit angles from the backside LB'ers on some plays Saturday and we will look to tighten that up tomorrow.

With the pressure their defensive scheme beings we have line calls in to insure we give up as few run throughs as possible. They will be faster than Sunrise so we have get sweep cut up field quickly and look for the cutback as they tend to over pursue. Belly should again be good both ways and Power will be as will as long as we can make the right line calls against pressure. I added our first hot read on Offense and also put in a blitz beater pass for 3rd and mid range situations and both looked good. These are the first new plays I have installed since game 2 and it was painfully clear we needed them after we struggled picking up the blitz in passing situations last week.

Hopefully by some miracle our 3 starters can get their grades fixed, if not be this game then at least for the week after when we will definitely need them. In the meantime I have total confidence in Zach R making his first start at QB this week. He was really neck and neck with Jacob S for the #2 position and though he is not a playmaking type, he is very cool and can manage the game nicely, not trying to force anything. That's all we need.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote