View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #379
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

March 8-14, 2021

Only 1 feature game for this week, and it came in the Pac 12.

3/10/21- Pac 12 First Round - (11) Washington State (DeShawn St. John) vs. (6) Colorado (Rob Nielsen) -- This turned out to be not much of a game, as the Buffaloes absolutely controlled the battle of the boards, grabbing 43 rebounds to just 23 for Washington State. All that led to a lot of second chance points, a lot more shot attempts, and a lot more made shots as Colorado rolls into the next round.

Final Score: (6) Colorado- 63, (11) Washington State- 45

Now for the rest of the weekly recap:

Hartford (David Ginsberg) -- 20-10, 9-7 America East.

The Hawks lost early in the America East Tournament last week. At 20 wins on the season, they feel pretty confident they will be extending their season. The experts aren't so sure though. That gaudy 252 RPI has many thinking they might well be done. My guess.. they'll be on the road in the CBI.

UConn (Randolph Childress) -- 14-17, 9-9 American.

3/11/21- American First Round vs. (11) Houston (L 79-75).

An embarrassing loss in the first round of the conference tournament definitely has Coach Childress hot under the collar. Everybody was expecting big things, now some people are wishing, Coach Childress himself, that he was back at Davidson. There will be no postseason for UConn.

ECU (Al Hutt) -- 20-12, 12-6 American.

3/12/21- American Quarterfinals vs. (11) Houston (W 87-55).
3/13/21- American Semifinals vs. (2) SMU (W 64-49).
3/14/21- American Championship vs. (1) #20 Memphis (L 75-66).

A heck of a run completes a heck of a season so far for the Pirates. The first 20 win season for ECU since this dynasty started, which has to give Coach Hutt consideration for many Coach of the Year awards. Not to mention, I would certainly think his job would be safe. ECU will be in the postseason for the first time ever (at least in this dynasty), but I don't think it'll be in the NCAA Tournament. They are right on the bubble, and I think they'll be hosting a First round NIT game.

Tulsa (Will Brown) -- 13-16, 7-11 American.

3/11/21- American Quarterfinals vs. (9) Tulane (L 80-57).

The Golden Hurricane are glad to see this season come to an end. It was a disaster for Coach Brown, as he is now 2 for 4 in postseason appearances in his time at Tulsa. Like UConn, there won't be any type of postseason for Coach Brown, and you have to wonder if his seat won't start getting warmer.

#19 Duke (Dean Hoo) -- 24-9, 13-5 ACC.

3/11/21- ACC Quarterfinals vs. (12) Clemson (W 69-47).
3/12/21- ACC Semifinals vs. (1) #2 Florida State (W 83-64).
3/13/21- ACC Championship vs. (2) #8 Syracuse (L 78-68).

The big win for the Blue Devils is that semifinal win over Florida Start, their first win over a top ACC team this season. Unfortunately, they couldn't make it back to back as they ran out of gas against Syracuse. The Dukies will still be dancing though, and if I had to guess, I think they are looking at a #3 or #4 seed.

#25 TCU (Bee Mighty) -- 24-9, 13-5 Big 12.

3/11/21- Big 12 Quarterfinals vs. (7) Oklahoma State (W 76-70).
3/12/21- Big 12 Semifinals vs. (6) Texas (W 65-57).
3/13/21- Big 12 Championship vs. (1) #3 Baylor (L 60-57).

What a season for the Horned Frogs and Coach Mighty. Their first 20 win season, a 2nd place finish in the Big 12, and their first NCAA Tournament berth (because they will be dancing, there is no doubt). Coach Mighty is also under consideration for several COY awards, and don't be surprised if he gets a few job offers after his last 2 seasons at TCU. As for their NCAA Tournament seed, I'm guessing around a 5 or 6 seed.

Michigan State (Al Mighty) -- 18-14, 9-9 Big Ten.

3/11/21- Big Ten Second Round vs. (11) Purdue (W 76-56).
3/12/21- Big Ten Quarterfinals vs. (3) #5 Wisconsin (L 60-49).

The Spartans just couldn't put together the kind of consistent season they needed to make it back to the NCAA Tournament. With 14 losses, even with the name brand they carry, an RPI of 72 could very well have them staying home this postseason. I have to think though, based on their name alone, the CBI or possibly the NIT will throw them an invite.

Northwestern (Ess Vee) -- 10-21, 6-12 Big Ten.

3/10/21- Big Ten First Round vs. (12) Iowa (L 93-90).

Coach Vee might very well have coached his last game for the Wildcats, as they had a terrible season and came nowhere close to that postseason goal that the Northwestern AD had for them. This makes 3 of the 4 seasons that coach Vee has been at Northwestern where they will miss out on the postseason.

Hawaii (B.B. Gunn) -- 16-15, 9-7 Big West.

3/11/21- Big West Quarterfinals vs. (5) Long Beach State (W 66-57).
3/12/21- Big West Semifinals vs. (6) Cal State Fullerton (L 68-65).

For some weird reason, the Big West reseeds their teams after the Quarterfinals where the highest seed plays the lowest seed, and then the other 2 teams play. In this case, it worked against the Warriors, as the #8 seed upset the #1 seed. In a regular bracket Hawaii would have been playing the #8 seed in the semifinals. I don't know if this is the way they do it for real, but it's crazy. In any case, the Warriors missed a golden opportunity. Although this is the best finish that Hawaii has had in 3 seasons, don't expect it to be enough to make the postseason. I think they are done, and Coach Gunn gets to sit through another offseason watching the hits pile up on firecoachgunn.com.

Rice (Charlie Shocker) -- 14-16, 7-11 Conference USA.

3/9/21- Conference USA First Round vs. (14) Southern Miss (L 91-85).

The Owls pretty much needed to win the C-USA tourney to get a postseason berth, so their season will be over. This also marks the 3rd season in a row with no postseason for Rice. Coach Shocker may be another FOFC coach working with a warmer seat next season.

Colorado (Rob Nielsen) -- 16-16, 9-9 Pac 12.

3/10/21- Pac 12 First Round vs. (11) Washington State- feature game, highlighted above.
3/11/21- Pac 12 Quarterfinals vs. (3) Washington (L 82-71).

The Buffaloes finish the season just as they started it.. average. A .500 record overall and in the conference isn't good enough. Although it was an improvement from last season, this marks 5 seasons in a row with no postseason for the Buffs. (I'm just guessing they won't make a tournament this season). As is this theme with our FOFC coaches, expect Coach Nielsen to work on a warm seat next season.

Stanford (Benito Sanchez) -- 17-15, 10-8 Pac 12.

3/10/21- Pac 12 First Round vs. (12) California (W 75-67).
3/11/21- Pac 12 Quarterfinals vs. (4) Utah (L 75-45).

Yikes! Not a great showing at all for the Cardinal in that Quarterfinal game. With that 101 RPI, it's going to be extremely hard to picture the Cardinal getting a postseason invite. If that's the case, it'll be 2 seasons in a row, after the first 4 seasons in the postseason, including an NIT championship.

#21 UCLA (Tim Shepard) -- 21-10, 12-6 Pac 12.

3/11/21- Pac 12 Quarterfinals vs. (10) Oregon (L 76-73).

One could say that the Bruins just choked in this game, but Oregon actually went on a massive Cinderella run to win the Pac 12 Tournament and earn an NCAA berth, so that has to make Coach Shepard feel a little happier. UCLA will still be dancing, probably around the #4 or #5 seed line.

Washington State (DeShawn St. John) -- 15-16, 6-12 Pac 12.

3/10/21- Pac 12 First Round vs. (6) Colorado- feature game, highlighted above.

Well, the Cougars didn't quite finish last in the Pac 12, but after a great start to the season that had people thinking NCAA Tournament, it was a very disappointing run in Pac 12 play. If Coach St. John wants to keep his job, he's going to have to find a way to make Washington State more competitive in the Pac 12.

Alabama (Roy Rogers) -- 13-18, 6-12 SEC.

3/10/21- SEC First Round vs. (13) Georgia (L 96-61).

It's almost like the Crimson Tide just packed it in and decided not to show up for the SEC Tournament, a result that Coach Rogers has to be disappointed with. After 3 good seasons in a row, Bama will be on the outside looking in this postseason.

#10 Kentucky (Patrick Hutt) -- 23-9, 14-4 SEC.

3/12/21- SEC Quarterfinals vs. (9) Arkansas (W 101-80).
3/13/21- SEC Semifinals vs. (5) Vanderbilt (W 99-67).
3/14/21- SEC Championship vs. (7) VCU (L 80-78).

The Wildcats put up some major points in the SEC Tournament, but would have liked to saved a few of those points, as they fell just short in the SEC championship. Still though, yet another great season for Kentucky, and they will be dancing again. Probably as a #3 or #4 seed.

Troy (Brett Hawkins) -- 16-15, 11-9 Sun Belt.

3/11/21- Sun Belt First Round vs. (8) Texas State (L 88-66).

Poor Coach Hawkins. He was in the midst of leading the Trojans to their best season in this dynasty, but they laid an egg in the Sun Belt tourney. At least they made it this season, but still, they are (if my math is right) the only FOFC team that has not made the postseason in this dynasty. They won't this season, not with a 193 RPI. But.. we are seeing signs that they have the potential to get there next season.

I'm going to make you guys wait until tomorrow to reveal Selection Sunday, just to keep a little suspense to this. Although, other than 1 or 2 teams, most of the others know whether they are in the postseason or not. The only real question mark to me is Michigan State, if they will make a tournament, and ECU, what tournament they'll make.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote