View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #499
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
When there were six players left, I proposed a plan to you, Heybrad, and DV. Neither you or DV ever bothered to get back to me so I expected to be voted out 4-2 or 5-1. My question is why didn't you tell me you were with me even though you had no intention of going with me?

Had DV told me he was on board before tribal council, I would have told him to switch his vote to Chesapeake and split the vote 3-3 since we never got a response from you. Had the tiebreaker been the purple rock scenario, your alliance would have only had a 33.3% chance of having the majority with five left. Again, why didn't you ensure that everyone in your alliance make it to the final five by simply telling me you were on board with the plan?
Good question.

The short answer is that part of my strategy was to avoid telling any flat-out lies. That wasn't any sort of ethical choice; I just figured that it was a bad strategy because it would poison a jury against me. I certainly did some deception and misleading, but I never told the sort of point-blank lie you're suggesting.

The longer answer is that I never considered a purple rock scenario. I assumed that a tie would be settled by firemaking, or some other sort of head-to-head challenge between the two who were tied. I knew there was some risk of a 3-3 vote that would see chesapeake or Thomkal put in jeopardy, and I was OK with taking that risk. At this point you guys didn't know I was in a solid alliance with them, so if it came to that and one of them was voted out I'd still be in good shape.

But I didn't think it would come to that. I gambled that by staying quiet we'd end up with a 3-2-1 vote. And I was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
Finally, tell me what you did to make yourself an important member of your alliance and not someone that could have easily been replaced by anyone on the jury.
Well, for one thing I was the only one of this alliance who could actually win an immunity challenge when we needed it.

Beyond that, the three of us had a lot of behind-the-scenes strategizing, as you can imagine, and chesapeake and I took the lead in that. I don't think it's fair to say that Thomkal was riding coat-tails, but he was definitely less active in that area.

Here was my key role in the alliance: staying hidden. Everyone figured out that Thomkal and chesapeake were part of an alliance pretty quickly. But it took a while for people to see that I was with them. Staying hidden is easy if you're not doing anything, but not so much when pulling strings. If everyone had figured it out earlier, it probably ends up being a very different game, and all three of us are probably on the jury right now.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-23-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote