View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #42
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1876-1877 Off Season

Letter from Thaddeus Hamilton to Frank Richardson
Mr. Richardson,
It is unfortunate the New Yorks will not be fielding a club this coming year. However, I believe the opportunity in Brooklyn is greater than the situation you had experienced.

I am prepared to offer you a contract of maximum value and the position of field captain. While this will no doubt be the equal to what others can offer you, Brooklyn has two advantages.

Our club is close to being a champion. I believe with your leadership you can spur on our boys past the last obstacle. You possess a temperament which can push the most ordinary of player to the limits of his ability. Our failure on the pitch last season came from men be comfortable with doing only what the situation required, and not playing the scientific game for which you are renowned. Take the lash to their spirits and drive them to victory, I know of no other man who can.

It is no secret you have become the hero to those who follow sport in the area. Brooklyn would afford you the chance to play on the same field before the same fans. You would not be compelled to leave your numerous business interests behind to the care of another man. You could track your investments locally, and not have the worry of what care they receive as you spend a summer in Saint Louis or Cleveland.

Further, with the additional manpower now available through out the Empire, I shall allow you to assemble the best talent available at what ever price they require. I should like our team to resemble a picked nine and not the junior clubs I have been unfortunate enough to cull together.

Please respond quickly, I know your services will be in great demand.

Sincerely,
Thaddeus Hamilton
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote