View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #49
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1877-The Battle for Buffalo

Letter from Winfred Siemens to James McCormick

Mr. McCormick,
I must object in no uncertain terms to the placement of an Empire League club in Buffalo. For the past several seasons the Ontario-New York League has operated, with success within the limits of the city. While not as nationally hailed as your Empire League, our clubs in Toronto, Syracuse and other cities in the area have become the pride of the locals. I believe this feeling compels us to defend our territories from interlopers.

The current fad in business is to accept products and goods made elsewhere at the expense of familiar names. I refuse to allow my club or league to be ruined by outside forces. If the Buffalo Empires follow through with their intention to play, I shall bring suit to keep them from playing. I will bring suit against any landowner who permits them to use their playing field. I will bring suit against anyone who facilitates the degradation of our league and investment. The good citizens of Buffalo will not stand for carpetbagger interest to spoil our borders.

Yours,
Winfred Siemens

[I'm picking up my posting here since I'm probably leaving the OOTP forums, want to get this 'current' as soon as possilble]
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote