View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

I, Izulde Jestor = Idiot. In New York. (DDS:PB 2)

"Mr. Jestor, it's the Detroit Pistons. They're offering us the #7 pick and Chris Wilcox for Danilo Gallinari."

Just when I thought I was out the game, they pull me back in. Back here in the Big Apple, where I'm again in charge of the Knicks. My first draft back. No Joakim Noah this time. Just a trade offer before I've even had time to look at the scouting reports.

Things move a hell of a lot faster than they used to.

Danilo Gallinari. Lot of split opinions about this kid. Some say Mike Dunleavy, others say a poor man's Dirk. I've heard Josh Smith, Hedo Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis. All kinds of things.

Some think he's a legit All-Star and we need to hang on to him. Others think he'll just be a serviceable fourth option. Me? I'm not really sure what to think. The game has changed a ton from my day. Back then, you had a clear and neatly organized hierarchy and it was easy to sort out players by their scouting and statistics. Now? Everybody seems to fall into a blobby medium.

I call my assistant GM. He says it's a crap deal way favoring the Pistons, so forget it anyhow. I do.

After looking over our workout reports, I'm even more glad I turned it down. There's not a single damn prospect in the class likely to be at #7, let alone #9, who fits the Jestorball model.

Oh well. Let's see how this rolls.

2010 NBA Draft 1st Round
1. PG John Wall - Washington Wizards
2. SG Evan Turner - Philadelphia 76ers
3. SF Wesley Johnson - New Jersey Nets
4. C Demarcus Cousins - Minnesota Timberwolves

Somewhere about pick 4, I get another call. This time it's the Thunder, offering Daequan Cook and #21 for Wilson Chandler. That's much more to my liking, as I'm not high on Chandler at all, but nor am I sold on the deal.

I try to get Russell Westbrook, but even the #9 pick won't cut it for them. We come close on another deal, but can't make salaries match, so I tell them to call me after the draft.

5. PF Derrick Favors - Sacramento Kings
6. C Cole Aldrich - Golden State Warriors
7. PF Epke Udoh - Detroit Pistons
8. SF Al-Farouq Aminu - Los Angeles Clippers

Talking heads are saying we'll pick Xavier Henry. I can see why, but my choice is clear.

9. PF Greg Monroe - New York Knicks

I love, love, -love- big men who have good passing and handling ability and Monroe fits the bill, in my opinion. Plus, picking him, we can keep Gallinari at the SF spot.

10. SG Xavier Henry - Indiana Pacers
11. SF Gordon Hayward - New Orleans Hornets
12. PF Ed Davis - Memphis Grizzlies
13. SF Paul George - Toronto Raptors
14. PG Terrico White - Houston Rockets
15. PF Larry Sanders - Milwaukee Bucks
16. C Daniel Orton - Charlotte Bobcats
17. SG Avery Bradley - Chicago Bulls
18. SF Luke Babbitt - Miami Heat
19. SG James Anderson - Boston Celtics
20. PF Patrick Patterson - San Antonio Spurs
21. SF Quincy Pondexter - Denver Nuggets
22. SF Da'Sean Butler - Portland Trailblazers
23. SG Jordan Crawford - Utah Jazz
24. SF Damion James - Atlanta Hawks
25. SG Dominique Jones - Denver Nuggets
26. PF Craig Brackens - Phoenix Suns
27. C Hassan Whiteside - Dallas Mavericks
28. PG Grevis Vasquez - Houston Rockets
29. SG Eric Bledsoe - Memphis Grizzlies
30. SF Stanley Robinson - Cleveland Cavaliers

So Landry Fields from Stanford, a projected first round pick, is still sitting there at #39. But then Solomon Alabi seduces me with his 7'1 foot body and ability to block shots, so we take him instead.

The pick's trashed, but whatever.

First look after the draft says I should be pretty happy with Monroe and Alabi could be a serviceable reserve in time. Probably should have taken Fields, but oh well.

There were a bunch of trades during the draft, none of which I'll cover right now because it was a long, long draft day. I didn't feel quite the excitement that I used to. Probably because everything's gotten so damned noisy and busy.

I renounce everyone prior to free agency, giving us $39 million and change to work with. No, we will not be chasing after LeBron. I don't like him. I realize much of it was the media machine that consumed him as a young boy, but I think he needs to stop this silliness and stay in Cleveland; become who he was born to be.

Summer League
PG Tony Douglas
SF Wilson Chandler
SF Danilo Gallinari
PF Greg Monroe
C Solomon Alabi

22 points from Tony Douglas in our opening 96-80 loss to the Grizzlies. Not sure if I'm excited about our new head coach's strategies. Oh by the way, we hired Del Harris as our head coach when I took over. I didn't want Mike D'Antoni's no defense ass around anymore and I couldn't convince Jeff Van Gundy to come back to New York, so I went with the elder statesman in Harris. Really elder, at 73.

102-74 loss to the Thunder and our lack of offense is alarming, especially since these are the main guys we're going to war with if nothing major happens in free agency.

Danilo Gallinari breaks out with 28 points, but we lose 100-84 to the Magic. One of our scrub invites got 12 bench points too, but no one cares.

120-85 loss to the Kings. I need to make a FA splash or this trip will be as short as last time Semih Erden, by the way, has now scored 12 bench points in the last two games. Solid game by Greg Monroe with 13 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and a block.

Semih Erden with 15 bench points, Danilo Gallinari with 23 points and Wilson Chandler with a pleasant 15 point, 10 rebound double-double to give us the 95-83 win over the Pistons and salvage something out of the summer league.

Hunting around before free agency, I do my damnedest to pry Stephen Curry from the Warriors. I even offer Danilo Gallinari. They tell me to go take a flying leap.

But then the 76ers give me the tired BS line about matching the best thing or close to it from their side of the trade. Really? Really?! GO **** YOURSELF! Jrue Holiday has substandard handling for a PG and is extremely raw right now and you're telling me Wilson Chandler and Solomon Alabi, plus even a 2nd rounder I'll throw in isn't enough?

I hate this league.

I really, really do.

Free Agency
Here's us throwing all of our money at Dwayne Wade. We also throw a sizeable contract at two other players.

And yes, we steal Paul Pierce on a 4 year, $60 million contract with a team option in the last year.

...Only to have the New Jersey Nets steal D-Wade and LeBron on the same day.

We strike back by signing Amare Stoudamire to a max deal a few days later.

Pierce is 32. If we want to win, we need to go all in.

So I hit the phones and after long hours and long talks, I make the following happen.

New York Knicks receive
PG Steve Nash
Phoenix Suns 2011 1st
Phoenix Suns 2013 1st

Phoenix Suns receive
SF Wilson Chandler
C Eddy Curry
PG Tony Douglas
New York Knicks 2011 2nd

What this means for the Knicks
Nash, Pierce, and Stoudamire all in one offseason. The Lottery GM, Jestor, is taking a blitzkrieg route to rebuilding the Knicks, especially after the Nets' coup of Wade and King James. Nash will be the perfect floor general for Pierce and Stoudamire and with Phoenix likely much worse now, those firsts could hold considerable value.

What this means for the Suns
What a shocking offseason this must be for Suns fans. First they lose Stoudemire to the Knicks. Now they trade Nash to New York and include two first round picks besides. How does this deal make sense for them? Financially. This is all about having another $14 million come off the books next season. They're already $8 million under the cap and Jason Richardson's contract alone is worth $14.4 million in expiring. 28.4 + 8 = 36.4 million, plus the other expirings. That means money to go after their choice of Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Yao Ming, maybe Carmelo Anthony if he opts not to take his option. Let's also not forget Blake Griffin, Brandon Jennings, etc.

Winner: New York
Phoenix will be very, very bad without Nash and Stoudamire. So bad that it's a guaranteed lottery selection in 2011, maybe even 2013. A dear price for the Suns to pay and they'll need to land somebody like a Rose, Noah, or Griffin to make it worth their while for having done this.

6 players under contract. $11 million and change in cap. I've got my starting five set, now I just need the role players.

Like Chris Duhon back in New York at a $3 million one year deal to be the backup point guard and Big Ben Wallace for $6 million and a shot at maybe another ring.

Interesting use of the cap by Miami. After missing out on the big two, they get Rudy Gay and Al Harrington on the same day I spend the rest of my money on Josh Howard. I told Charles Rolen I'd be under the cap but losing. Oops. Let's just hope he likes winning lots more.

9 players left, so I need at least 3 guys on min-sal.

Wow. Joe Johnson to the Chicago Bulls and the overrated Luis Scola to the Suns.

The Heat pay good money to Earl Watson to take him from us. We counter by getting Steve Blake on a one year min sal, but lose Mike Sweetney to I forget who just now. The Lakers gave AI a two year min sal. Wow.

Ahmad Nivins upside intrigues me enough to sign him to a two year deal and Von Wafer gets the one year min sal to make our minimum 12.

Preseason mags are picking the Nets and.... us... as the favorites. As one writer put it, "This is the most exciting NY/NJ basketball war since the NBA/ABA fracas of the '70s. Both teams have a great three star core and quality role-players to fill in the gaps. It should be a thrilling fight all season long."

Heh.

New Jersey Nets
PG Devin Harris
SG Dwayne Wade
SF Lebron James
PF Yi Jianli
C Brook Lopez
Courtney Lee
Wesley Johnson (R)
Terrence Williams
Linus Kleiza
Craig Smith
Ramon Sessions
Ryan Hollins

New York Knicks
PG Steve Nash
SG Danilo Gallinari
SF Paul Pierce
PF Greg Monroe (R)
C Amare Stoudamire
Ben Wallace
Josh Howard
Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
Von Wafer
Ahmad Nivins (R)
Solomon Alabi (R)

I feel like our depth is a ton better than New Jersey's. Their PG and big man depth suck the big one. On the other hand, our starting five is much weaker, with only two go-to guys on offense.

Man, I hope I did the right thing here. Bulls #3 in the East and I can't help but think the D-Rose/Joe Johnson backcourt won't work. West favorites are Lakers/Jazz/Kings.

That last one I don't see at all.

Speaking of last...

Phoenix Suns
PG Tony Douglas
SG Jason Richardson
SF Wilson Chandler
PF Luis Scola
C Robin Lopez

Yeah. That lineup alone tells you why the Suns are picked for last in the West.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote