View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

"We all do shit like this, stuff that's no good for you. You do it and there's no feeling positive about it afterwards." - Junot Diaz, "Aurora", from the Drown collection

I could tell you about the time I held a drunken one minute conversation with Diaz, where I was trying to avoid fanboying, but I'll spare myself that. In any case, I consider "Aurora" one of the most powerful, moving stories I've ever read, and it ranks right up there with Rabindranath Tagore's "Hungry Stones" for my favorite short story of all time.

Note: To those of you considering reading it, be warned in advance that the language is quite graphic in places. The above quote is actually fairly mild compared to some of the lines in it.

But in any case, that first line is in my head as I survey the train wreck I made with that Zach Randolph trade. Not one single win since then.

Before we continue on with the season, trade deadline reviews.

San Antonio Spurs receive
SF Andre Iguodala

Philadelphia 76ers receive
SF Richard Jefferson
San Antonio Spurs 2011 1st round pick

What this means for the Spurs
Hefty contract, but the 26 year old has some serious defensive game and is a decent all around SF outside of that. More importantly, he represents a starting upgrade at the 3 spot for a Spurs team fighting to make the playoffs.

What this means for the 76ers
A $15 million expiring contract and a mid-late first is not bad at all for a player the 76ers felt wasn't the right one to build around, now that they have Evan Turner.

Winner - Draw
So much of this is dependent on San Antonio making the postseason. They're barely hanging on to the #8 seed right now. If the pick goes lottery, the 76ers win this deal.

Los Angeles Lakers receive
PG Mo Williams

Cleveland Cavaliers receive
PG Terrico White
SF Jason Kapono

What this means for the Lakers
The only other true PG the Purple and Gold had on the roster? Allen Iverson. Williams is more of a combo guard in our opinion, but he's already the best floor general on the roster and immediately a starter. Pretty good shooter and scorer, too. An excellent filling for need.

What this means for the Cavaliers
White was taken 14th overall in this past draft. He's extremely raw, but already shows promise as a 3 point shooter. 6'5, 203 lbs is excellent size and that large body should help him play better. Could develop into a decent player down the line. As is, he's a starter, so will get lots of minutes. Kapano is a $6.6 mil. expiring contract.

Winner: Lakers
The rest of the West just swore, as Showtime addressed its only real problem.

Chicago Bulls receive
C Chris Kaman

Los Angeles Clippers receive
PG Kirk Hinrich
Chicago Bulls 2011 1st

What this means for the Bulls
Poor shooting for a big man, but his 7' height allows him to grab rebounds and block shots. Bit of a shot eater, so Chicago has to be careful he doesn't take away attempts from Derrick Rose. New starting PF, signed through next season.

What this means for the Clippers
Hinrich wasn't seeing much time with the Bulls, but he'll be a very good 6th man with the Clippers. That first round pick is going to be late, but dealing Kaman opened up a spot for Timofey Mozgov, who shockingly went undrafted and who is a very promising youngster. Horrible free throw shooter (38.6%) but 55.6% shooting from the floor makes up for it.

Winner: Clippers
Not a great move by the Bulls. There was nothing wrong with beefing up their frontcourt and dealing Hinrich and a first to do it. It's just that Kaman is the wrong option.

We finally snap the losing streak with a 106-104 barnburner over the 76ers. Amare Stoudemire leads the way with 32 points and 11 rebounds, Chris Duhon surprises with 28 points, Zach Randolph picks up 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Steve Nash goes for 15 points and 16 assists.

The next night we embarrass the Magic 117-86 thanks to Amare Stoudemire's 30 points and Steve Nash's 20 points.

Our joy over a mini win streak is marred by reports of Danilo Gallinari and Omer Asik getting into fights. Something about Italian/Turkish relations I don't quite understand, or maybe it was that Danilo called Omer a girl for complaining about a shoulder injury. One of the two won't be here next year.

Despite the sniping, we rip off a 122-92 rout of the Grizzlies to help our draft position. Steve Nash is again the main man with 24 points and 12 assists, but Amare Stoudemire's 20 points don't hurt and neither do Ronnie Brewer or Josh Howard popping off for 15 and 12 bench points.

The win streak continues, 111-99 over the Mavericks. All five starters score 12+ points, Zach Randolph the key man with 24 points, but ups for Amare Stoudemire's 19 points and 10 rebounds and Steve Nash's 12 points and 16 assists.

112-100 loss to the Thunder snaps the streak at four, but Danilo Gallinari scores 23, Amare Stoudamire garners 22 points and 21 rebounds, Steve Nash has 17 points and 11 assists, and Josh Howard picks up 11 bench points. We really, really need a new SG.

117-112 loss to the Nets, but at least it was close. Chris Duhon scores 21 and neutralizes Dwayne Wade. Must have heard my new SG comment. Steve Nash magics up 21 points and 12 assists and 14 and 12 bench points from Ben Wallace and Josh Howard.

Close game against the Cavs, but we eke out the 109-103 win on Zach Randolph's 24 points and 17 rebounds, Amare Stoudemire's 26 points and 10 rebounds and [b]Steve Nash[/b['s pair of 13s.

Big playoff position battle goes the wrong way in a 116-110 loss to the Bobcats. 24 points, 12 rebounds from Amare Stoudemire, 19 points, 13 rebounds out of Zach Randolph.

Now Ben Wallace is bitching about playing time. Since he went to the media about it and he's so old, I fire right back, telling him he's a valuable part of the team at 38, and there's no need for him to be griping. He gets pissy but I don't care.

Defense, Zach Randolph's 23 points and 18 rebounds, and Amare Stoudemire's 21 points and 16 rebounds net a 93-80 win over Phoenix in another draft pick battle. I have to say, after some initial struggles, the Zach/Amare frontcourt is working really well for us.

Back end's in Sacramento and we win 109-105. Steve Nash goes off for 34 points and Amare Stoudemire does his thing with 20 points and 14 rebounds.

Ronnie Brewer doesn't like the coaching staff, but after I talk to him about it, he feels better.

No surprise the Lakers beat us 103-85. They're my pick to win the title after that brilliant Mo Williams trade.

It's a good thing Danilo Gallinari is a free agent after this season, because we can just let him walk. I'm done with his foolishness with Omer Asik and it's only those two guys who are fighting. Plus, he's shooting 39%. That's unacceptable.

Win #40 is 111-96 over Golden State. Amare Stoudemire with 25 points, Steve Nash with 11 points and 12 assists, and Steve Blake with 14 bench points.

112-98 loss to the Nuggets, but it's the second frame of a doubleheader and in Denver so I'm not worried.

We clinch .500 with a 116-75 de-stringing of the Jazz. 16, 13, 10 bench points from Ben Wallace, Josh Howard, and Ronnie Brewer.

On the last day of the month, we roll up the Heat 113-106 to guarantee a winning record. Zach Randolph grabs 24 points and 11 rebounds and Steve Nash bookends with 23 points and 10 assists.

The Nets have already clinched the Atlantic title. We're again tied for the #4 seed, this time with the Indiana Pacers. I believe New Jersey's also locked up the #1 seed in the East.

Out West, the Lakers already have the Pacific title sewn up, but the #1 seed is still very much in play with Dallas and Portland chasing. San Antonio appears to have made the right choice in getting Andre Iduogala. They're 44-28 and firmly in control of the #6 seed, also within striking distance of a #4 or #5 seed.

Phoenix? 14-58, dead last in the league.
Memphis? 23-48, 4th worst in the league.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote