View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #141
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
1. She supports Sanders' Medicare for All bill (provide every American with health insurance through Medicare while eliminating private insurers and virtually eliminating co-pays and deductibles)

This really isn't controversial nor is anything that should be considered a far left position anymore. 52% of republican voters support it along with 70% of all voters. Any Dem that doesn't support M4A in some manner is dead in water.

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing any legit differences Harris has from Sanders because I haven't found one yet. Even on taxes, both want to repeal Trump's plan and come up with a lower/middle income tax (under 60K) and phase out any benefits for people making over 100K (which I guess qualifies as "rich" now). Outside of maybe Warren, I can't think of another candidate closer to Sanders' stances on the issues than Harris.

You've basically highlighted the current democrat agenda and pointed out that two of the top 5 candidates share views on those points. That's really not a surprise. If a candidate isn't supporting those issues they're not getting through many debates.

Quote:
I can't see Trump losing to Warren, Sanders or Harris. Booker is a wild card - but I think it would take a nominee like Biden, Hickenlooper or Ryan to really have a chance and I don't see a way they survive the primary voters.

I honestly think you're a little out of touch with how far to the left the nation has moved overall. I'd put Harris, Booker, and Sanders (maybe Buttigieg as well) above Biden in a general by the time November 2020 rolls around while Ryan and especially Hickenlooper aren't beating anyone in a general election.

Biden is coasting right now and I said a while back despite how well he's polling I'd take the field. Biden's positions are dated and he has a lot of skeletons in his closet that he's going to have a difficult time explaining away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Anyhow... I suspect that whoever the D nominee is, the red team will work extra hard to take whatever raw materials is presented (old votes, internet memes, russian propaganda, outright lies) and develop it to occupy as much space and time in the public square as the collective values, achievements, or goals that the D nominee asserts, plus the critiques and attacks on Trump or the GOP.

And this is why, despite my deep (and deepening) admiration for her articulation and effectiveness, I think Warren is the most flawed of the group in this exact respect. They will use her "lie" over and over, it will definitely stick with a ton of persuadable voters, and it will work every bit as well against her as Benghazi and servergate combined. I'm totally convinced of this, she's got a really wide and visible Achilles' Heel, more so than Biden's list (grabby, plagiarizer, old) or anyone else's known weaknesses. Hers is right there, and if your main objective is to prevail, I think it's basically disqualifying.

I don't think the Native American thing itself sticks. It may be used as an excuse, but I feel that if Trump wins its largely because he's convinced enough independents that the economy is going to crash without him, that illegals are going to poor over the border and rape their daughters, that dems are going to raise their taxes in order to make life easy for those lazy non-working welfare kings and queens, and that the gay is going to spread like the flu.

It does create an easier excuse not to vote for her and I'm sure some will jump at the opportunity. How many would come down to how effective the GOP message is.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-28-2019 at 06:16 PM.