View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

November 26 2007

Portland State (1-4) at NC A&T(0-3)

Rated slightly better than us overall(73 vs 69) the big concern here is the same as our last game... rebounding. They're significantly better than us on defense as well.

I made a couple changes going into this game, my coach settings were heavily geared towards the fast break, I changed defensive rebounding so that we always crash the boards and never push the ball. On offense I have us crashing the boards a bit more, but not 100%, still being mindful of transition defense.

14:00 1st - We trail 11-9 but I'm happier with our play early here. Our PG, Ewing, picked up two early fouls and has to sit, but I'm happier with our rebounding after the changes made. Portland State's SG has made 3 3-pointers and is killing us so far.

7:00 1st - Coleman picks up his 2nd foul as we trail 22-19. All our starters except Ewing and Coleman(foul trouble) are back in the game.

Gah... after being tied 25-25 with about 5 minutes left, we just fall apart to end the first half. I have 3 posessions in a row where we don't get a shot off and they get fast break points. We end the half trailing 45-35.

Most of our offense has come from our two best players, Rush with 12 points, Willis with 11. We're doing alright but need to cut down on the turnovers, 7 of them in the first half.

16:00 2nd - A horribly ugly start to the 2nd half. We trail 49-35 now and are 0-7 in the half so far from the floor.

12:30 2nd - we score. 54-37.

Just terrible. Terrible!

Portland State 83
NC A&T 55

The rebound situation was better. They had 10 offensive boards to our 6, and only outrebounded us 34-30 overall. They shot 50% to our 38%, and we let them get to the line 25 times which hurt pretty bad.

Rush ended up with 19 points, Willis 15(and 9 boards, solid game there).

It seems I have not improved at this game nearly as much as I thought i had Until I get down by 15+ though I'm having fun playing the games, so I am going to keep plugging away, working mainly on avoiding silly turnovers which give the other team free runs.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote