View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

December 28, 2007

Elon (4-6) at NC A&T (1-7)

Elon is rated 68 overall, they are better on defense and we're better on offense but overall we're fairly similar.

13:30 - Rush and Ewing both have hit a 3 and look to be shooting better than last game. We trail 16-15 as we start bringing in subs.

6:45 - Our backups pull off a 7-0 run and allow us to slow things down a bit and let the starters get rested. Elon goes on a little run and takes the lead back, 28-26, but our starters are back in and good for the rest of the half so I'm happy.

And by the half I'm not happy at all anymore. Elon is shooting 57% from the floor. Rush has 14 and is on fire but we're down 7, 45-38.

16:30 - Elon is running a half court trap which is allowing me to get open jumpers every time down. Rush has hit 3 straight 3s in the second half and we now only trail 51-49.

13:00 - After a couple turnovers allow Elon to roll back out to a 59-51 lead, we clamp down and go on an 8-0 run, tying the game up at 59.

8:45 - We miss 3 straight tries to take the lead, including an open 3 that Rush misses and an offensive board by Coleman but a miss on the followup. Our defense holds strong though and finally we get Coleman in the post for a layin to take a 63-61 lead!

5:00 2nd - Nelson drains an open 3 to give us a 71-69 lead as the starters come back out on the floor for the remainder of the game.

At the 3 minute mark, Coleman misses what I thought was going to be an easy dunk(ended up going up weak and dinking it off the rim), and Elon ties it up at 71. We come back though and Elon is back in its half court trap defense, and we find Rush for yet another 3, and he drains it like a pro. 74-71 Aggies.

Elon scores and goes into a fullcourt press. I handle it ok, but as I'm passing over the top to get it past halfcourt, Ewing makes an errant pass that sails out of bounds and it goes back to Elon...

We go back up by 3 and get a big stop with about 1:50 left. We try to work the ball inside on our next possession but can't get a good shot. Ewing rotates the ball to Alston to Rush who gets a fair look from 3 as the shot clock expires... GOOD! 79-73 NC A&T with 1:13 left.

We press and Elon throws the inbounds pass away!!! At this point I run the clock, they make a couple shots but don't have enough time to try to finish a comeback, despite my PG missing the front end of a 1-and-1 late.

NC A&T 81
Elon 78

The story of the game is absolutely the fact that Elon ran a half court trap for a solid 40% of the game, giving me open looks from 3 whenever I wanted them. As long as Rush remained hot, I continued to take them. And boy, did Rush remain hot.

Rush scored 36 points, including 10-14 from 3 point land. Coleman pulled down 11 boards, and Alston had 12 assists, thanks to feeding people out of the trap for much of the game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote