View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #669
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Top Rankings Update

1. Mateo Kaspar(25, FRA) -- 16,620

12th Slam at Wimbledon is his third straight there, and gives him sole possession of 5th place on the all-time list. It was a bit surprising to see him lose early twice in the clay season(Monte Carlo and Rome), but he rose up to get the big one at RG.

2. Gillo Fangio(26, ITA) -- 9,750

3. Prakash Mooljee(30, SRI) -- 7,060

The early loss at Wimbledon is probably just a blip, but it could be the beginning of the end here. It does put a lot of pressure on Mooljee to play well in the second half if he wants to retain his status. The gap between him and the next couple of challengers has closed considerably.

4. Guus Dircx(24, NLD) -- 6,480

Narrowly holds this spot as a result of that QF clash at Wimbledon. It'll be interesting to see what the summer and fall hold.

5. Ritwik Dudwadkar(24, SRI) -- 6,330

Already having a better year than I expected, he's about to face the biggest challenge of his career. In just a couple weeks' time, the hardcourt gauntlet begins, starting with the Olympic Games in China. This is even more daunting than usual, as he'll be playing singles and doubles there.

6. Johnny Browne(28, USA) -- 5,610

7. Martin Zarco(25, ESP) -- 5,330

8. Jake Jolland(28, USA) -- 3,985

9. Sigmund Kronecker(26, DEU) -- 3,635

10. Milos Schmucker(25, CZE) -- 3,230

I don't expect Schmucker to have an extended stay in the Top 10, but reaching a Slam final is nothing to sneeze at. The Czech Republic finally has a new standard-bearer, as Milos has surpassed Tomas Niklas.

12. Hsuang-Tsung Teng(24, NZL) -- 2,840

Teng could still make a run at getting on the first page by year's end. We'll see if he can backup that impressive SF run.

15. Ruben Piazzola(23, CHL) -- 2,650

Piazzola is pretty much treading water here.

10(D). Anil Mehul(38, SRI)

The days of doubles glory seem clearly to be over. It was fun while it lasted. 4 Slams and 7 Masters in a solid second career that went a couple of years past what any of his contemporaries were able to achieve in terms of longevity at the top. We'll gradually see more singles events from him to fill out the schedule now. At present he still hangs out at the top of the futures crowd(226th).

4(J). Sushant Chiba(18, SRI)

Chiba will have an extended period off here, but that Wimbledon semi is the furthest any player of mine has ever gotten in a Juniors Slam, and gave him enough to hold this spot for now. He's got another 2-3 weeks off now before he'll head out for another event. Stanley Edleman continues to crush all opposition with a 48-0 record and more than double the points of anyone else at over 2600. Chiba by comparison is at 975 in the rankings, with the next four after him ranging from 764 to 926. Staying just ahead of them if possible is his goal for the rest of the year.

The two have much different career shapes, as mentioned a while back. I thought I'd do a quick comparison here; Edleman is already at his physical peak, where he'll be for a while. Chiba is at 89%, so he's not going to reach it for a while. His overall rating comes out to 5.80 at the moment, while Stanley's is at 6.80, making him nearly ready for challenger play with still several months of improving left. Exactly a 1-point difference as it turns out, which is massive: the American is almost at Challenger-level performance. Speed is the biggest difference; he's almost twice as fast, while also having much greater technical skills. Chiba will likely catch him eventually as a pro due to his longevity, but it'll take years to be sure to close this kind of gap. It probably has just started closing a bit -- both players are at about the same level in endurance right now(3.5) and my guy is still getting the benefits of physical maturation. He'll never be the athlete that the American is though. Due to the expressed interest I'll keep an eye on this comparison and report on how things develop.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote