View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #37
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 October 2015

Well, here we go! As the campaign draws to a close, we hold our chances for a Premier Division championship in our hands. And, there's a chance to make it a double.

Early in the season, I didn't place much emphasis on the cups. Now, things are different. We're making a very good run in the Senior Challenge Cup, and since we had a nice break in the schedule after the Cup tie, I fielded a strong side.

We were away to Bohemians, a fixture we've played no fewer than FOUR times this season. And, as we've done every time we've played them (including once at Eamonn Deacy Park), we ran out winners. In retrospect, however, we might all remember the game with sadness. Rudmer Talsma tore ligaments in his knee, finishing his season and, perhaps, his career. The 35-year-old wide man, who has one more year left on his contract, is considering hanging up his boots.

After the break, we hosted St. Pat's Athletic in a game with major implications on the title race. We fell behind in the first half, and I let the lads have it--and good--at halftime. They came out ready to fight, and scored twice to take back a point and run our streak of games without a defeat to nine. Meanwhile, Dundalk beat Drogheda United. That result put the Lilywhites top of the league again--even with us on points, ahead on goal differential.

The Saints matched marked the debut of our newest Tribesman, Gareth Kearney. I mentioned him earlier, when I spotted him on a list of players picked for Ireland Under 21s. We scouted him, I liked what I saw, and we signed him to a contract.

Gareth is a classy, versatile midfielder, who can play in the middle or out wide, in a more attacking role or as a holding player. He's a very similar player to Aaron O'Connor, perhaps a bit better. Gareth's arrival strengthens the core of our side, and he's under contract for the next two seasons. Not long after he signed for us, he earned two more Ireland U21 caps, and he scored a goal against Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Two more wins followed, away to Athlone Town and at home to Drogheda United. Meanwhile, Dundalk managed a win and a draw, so we moved back to the top of the table.

Here's what the remainder of our fixture list looks like:

Cork City and Sligo Rovers have each beaten us once. We've never lost to Cobh Ramblers, but it has the makings of a classic trap game. We'll be welcoming Damion Watson back to action, but Pasquale Van Daele will be out for at least a week with a minor hamstring issue.

Dundalk has this set of opponents:

They've never lost to Drogheda, but Derry City have beaten them once, and Shamrock Rovers have defeated them twice.

And here's who St. Pat's have left:

Saints haven't lost to any of the teams remaining on their schedule. The only blemish on their record against these three clubs is a draw with Bohemians.

It won't be easy, but that's what would make it good.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 03-31-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote