View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #45
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

I decided to resume my return (re-return?) to Galway this summer. I also have another idea for a FM dynasty that I'm thinking about...

28 February 2016

Our season will begin today, when we will be forced to provide some semblance of a warm welcome for Shamrock Rovers when they arrive at Eamonn Deacy Park for the Irish President's Cup. We earned a spot in this match by winning the league, and Rovers punched their ticket by winning the Irish Senior Challenge Cup.

With the preseason done and dusted, here's a look at this year's first team squad.

Goalkeepers

Bradford needs no introduction. Darcy responded well to the challenges of the Premier Division, improving in the ways you want to see a young goalkeeper improve. Van der Steen probably won’t be content to be Bradford’s caddy for long; I can’t see us being able to keep both of them.

Last year’s depth goalkeepers, Derek Byrne and Jimmy O’Connor, left after I didn’t offer contracts to them. I was looking for a veteran goalie with a good personality who would be willing to serve as a backup. I found Forde, who fits the bill very well.

Defenders

The unquestioned star of the defensive corps—if not the whole team—is the rock-solid Murphy. It’s hard to remember he’s only just turned 20. He’s now the club’s vice captain. I renewed Glynn’s loan, so the Everton man will be back at Eamonn Deacy Park until June, at least (I’m hoping to extend it longer.) His Professional personality makes him even better to have around.

Díaz returns for his third season at left back. However, there will be a new face on the right side: Welsh U21 international McCarthy, on loan from Liverpool. A very well-rounded footballer, I can use Dean all around our formation. That would allow the reliable Woods a chance to play more regularly.

Molloy, who was willing to come back on a non-contract deal, and Connolly are also available. So is the versatile Sikumoya, the Chelsea loanee, who can (and will) play all across the back line and at defensive midfielder.

Midfielders

The departure of Peter Johanssen will leave a void, but it’s one I’m convinced we can fill with the players we still have. O’Connor, another example of a player who thrived in the more competitive environment of the Premier Division, possesses the defensive nous to play in the DM role, and the composure and vision to serve as a playmaker farther up the field.

Ryan suffered a horrible injury—a broken pelvis—at the very end of last season, which has affected his stamina and strength. I hope Billy can recover completely, because I’ve enjoyed having him in the team.

Russell will begin the season injured, too, after having fractured some ribs in a preseason friendly. When he returns, he’ll step back into our role as the most creative member of our midfield trio.

While Ryan and Russell work back into shape, Scully will have an opportunity to show what he can do in the first team. He’s recently been given his first U19 caps, and his pace and flair make him an intriguing prospect. Glen is another lad who won’t be long content with a backup role.

Brennan, who signed for us last spring, is an ideal reserve—mentally strong, technically adept, and versatile enough to play all along the back line or in central midfield. He’s also a valuable member of our Under 19s coaching staff.

Damion Watson begged me to let him go on loan with newly-promoted Longford…so I gave him what he wanted. He’d have had to fight for his place here; maybe he didn’t want to work that hard? Now I’m going to use Kearney on the right wing. He plays there sometimes for Ireland U21s, and he can certainly handle the role.

Van Daele is a fixture on the left. He’s also our new captain, since David Reilly decided not to accept a contract with a reduced role in the team. We’re short on depth on the wings, but fortunately a few of our strikers can play out wide, too.

Attackers

I extended Nolan’s loan, so the West Ham man will be back to lead the line. He’s a hard worker who has endeared himself to the fans at Eamonn Deacy Park. McCabe didn’t get a lot of playing time last year, but he was content to return to the team as a backup, and I’m glad to have him.

Coughlan is a new arrival, a well-rounded young striker with a decent nose for goal and the work ethic I’m trying to graft onto the DNA of our team.

Talented youngster Lynch is raw, but he is already talented enough to hang around the fringes of the first team, playing in a few cup ties while he hones his craft with the U19s.

Molloy can play at the top of the formation too, which makes him a valuable bench option.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 06-22-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote