View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #49
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

6 June 2016

Halfway through the season, the Tribesmen are involved in a hammer-and-tongs battle for the Premier Division lead. Despite a run of 12 games without a defeat, we can't separate ourselves from St. Pat's Athletic.

Sure, I'd like to be winning the league at a canter, but I'm delighted with how things are going right now. Look at that goals against total! We've let in only eight goals in the league so far, and three of those went in today (I'll elaborate later).

Our achievements are even more significant when you consider how many problems we've had with injuries this season. Kieron Russell didn't make his season debut until 15 April. Billy Ryan has been in and out of the team, banged up as often as not. Aaron O'Connor sprained his ankle on 16 May, and he hasn't come back yet. Darcy Bradford damaged his elbow last week, and won't be ready for another week or so. In the same match Declan Nolan tore his hamstring. That's four regular first team players and another (Ryan) who is a rotation option, all missing substantial amounts of time. And we're still top of the league on goal difference.

One highlight of the last two months has to be the 2-0 victory over Shamrock Rovers at Eamonn Deacy Park. We battered their 'keeper, Sean O'Connor, with 14 shots. While O'Connor was once again outstanding, he couldn't keep out a laser from Nolan, and he couldn't stop Dean McCarthy from banging in a shot off his near post.

We also got to congratulate young goalkeeper Michael Gill on the occasion of his first cap for Ireland U19s. He joins Patrick Lynch and Glen Scully as regular members of the national youth side.

Speaking of Lynch, he figures prominently in the story of our most exciting match of the season. We hosted St. Pat's Athletic, the two clubs topping the table on 33 points apiece. With Bradford unavailable, I selected Alexander van der Steen in goal, and the Dutch teenager was very shaky. With four minutes left in the first half, we were already down, 0-3. Declan Coughlan pulled one back, but our joy was both limited and brief. Captain Pasquale van Daele hobbled off the pitch and couldn't continue.

Coughlan can play on the left wing, so I shifted him there and brought on Lynch. Patrick has been scoring for fun for our U19s (8 games, 8 goals), so I picked him for the bench today.

Two minutes into the second half, Lynch drifted to the right side of the penalty area, received a cross from McCarthy, and lashed it home from a tight angle. Twelve minutes later, Gareth Kearney found him in nearly the same spot, and this time he fired across the face of goal and in at the far post. Just like that, we were level, and that's how the match ended. At 17 years, 7 days old, Lynch is now our youngest-ever goalscorer.

Over the course of the next few weeks, our squad will begin to look very different. Most of the players we've had on loan will be returning to their clubs, so we'll be saying goodbye to McCarthy, Nolan, and Aaron Sikumoya. Liverpool wants McCarthy to play with better players, and apparently Nolan and Sikumoya aren't allowed to return to us for a third time. We'll be keeping Sean Glynn until the end of the season, as both Everton and Sean are happy with our arrangement.

I'm discovering, however, that the prospects of playing in the Champions League appeal to a slightly higher calibre of player. I've reached terms with one talented footballer, whom I'll introduce to you when he arrives on 1 July.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote