View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NCAA 2006: USC - The quest for a 4-peat

Welcome to the electronic journal of Pete Carroll. Here I will document my thoughts about my team, our recent accomplishments, my thinking pattern as I decide who should start, and of course some basic stats from each of our games.

We've won the last three national championships and we are on course for a 4th since Reggie Bush decided to come back for his senior year. Thank God that his parents are pushing him so hard to get his degree. That was a key factor in his returning. Unfortunately, we had 16 other kids who went pro early. A few of them are sure to make it in the NFL such as receiver Steve Smith. Others, are likely to never really make it on a team such as our backup left tackle. Too bad, he would have started this year.

Let's take a look at the roster as we start Spring Practices:

QB's:

As a group, I'd give them a grade of a B.

John David Booty is a Redshirt Junior. He is 6'3 195. He doesn't have very good mobility, but he isn't terrible. He does have a very strong arm with good accuracy. Most people think he will be our starter and they are probably right, but his backup intrigues me...

Rocky Hinds is a Redshirt Sophomore with excellent athleticism. He is fast, agile, and strong. He is 6'4 225 but moves like a HB. He has an arm that is almost as strong as Booty's but is not nearly as accurate. However, we might need his athleticism with our young offensive line.

Mark Sanchez is a Redshirt Freshman. He is 6'4 212 pounds. He is more of a pocket QB with a very strong arm. He probably is the most accurate of the three QB's, but he is young and inexperienced. I think he would lose his composure given the likelihood that he will be hit a lot behind our young line.

Tony Cleveland is our new recruit. He is a Californian boy who is 6'3 197 and is he is raw. However, he has a cannon for an arm and he could be a great pocket passer in 2-3 years.

Onto the Halfbacks. As a group they get an A+.

Reggie Bush is a true Senior who is electric. He is the fastest, most agile, best accelerating HB that I've ever coached. He can score any time that he touches the ball. He is 6'0 203lbs of pure muscle. The guy is a great receiver as well and I will split him out at WR frequently. Again, I'm grateful to his parents for convincing him to return after winning the Heisman last year.

Lendale White is a 6'2 240 pound true senior RB who would be the #1 back on most teams. I'm shocked he stayed around and grateful. He doesn't have Bush's speed, but he is a punishing runner who can get 5-10 yards on almost any carry. He isn't a very good receiver, but he will get more carries this year than he did last year.

Chauncey Washington is a 6'1 205 redshirt junior running back. He is a powerful runner who can break some tackles and will be our third string back this year.

Spencer Moore is a true freshman who we just recruited. He is 6'1 197. He was the #1 back in the nation. Our coaches think he is almost as fast, almost as agile, and almost as quick in accelerating as Bush! He isn't a very good receiver however, and he lacks good awareness. I'm debating on redshirting him or just using him as a returner this year...

(other positions to come in future entry.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-17-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote