View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

DE: As a group, they get a B+.

Lawrence Jackson is redshirt left end who won the Bednarik award last year and led the nation in sacks with 15. He is a dominating pass rusher who also is a good run stopper. He is 6'5 274. He is widely regarded as one of the top 5 DE's in the nation.

Jeff Schweiger is a true Junior. He is 6'4 254. He was my backup RE last year. He worked very hard in the offseason and added some burst to his first step. He is now an elite DE and gives us arguably the best pair of DE's in the nation. He had 6 sacks last year in limited action and we expect double digits for him this year.

Rashaad Goodrum is a redshirt senior. He is 6'3 247. He is just an average backup with a decent first step. Not a great run stopper or pass rusher.

Alex Morrow is a redshirt junior who might sneak up the depth chart to the #3 spot. He is a powerful defensive end who is a good run stopper. He is 6'5 274.

Chris Barrett is a redshirt junior. He is 6'5 272. He plays too upright and usually gets pushed out of the play. Needs to learn to play lower and then he might be a good player.

DT: As a group, they get a B.

Sedrick Ellis is a redshirt junior who learned a great deal from Wright last year (who has since gone to the NFL.) Ellis is a 6'2 276 ball of energy. He is constantly playing with a high motor and can be disruptive against the pass or run. Great speed for a DT.

Fili Moala is a redshirt Soph. who has great size. He is 6'5 305. He is the classic run stuffing DT who can really shut down the running lanes inside.

Gabe Long is a redshirt junior who might edge Moala out of the #2 DT spot. Long is 6'4 283. He is our strongest DT. He has a great swim move and has become a good force against the pass.

Travis Tofi is a redshirt senior who never really found a position. He is 6'4 260 and slides between DT and DE. He doesn't have enough burst for DE, but not enough bulk or strength for DT.

Walker Ashley is a redshirt freshman who is 6'4 290. He is another fat player who has stamina issues and doesn't really use his bulk well.

William Ortiz was my top "athlete" recruit. He is 6'9 327. I thought about putting him on the offensive line, but our coaches all felt he would make a better DT. I worry that he will get pushed around by smaller linemen who can under his pads, but he doesn't seem to let that be a problem in practice. He is excellent at knocking down passes, and might be a very good kick blocker. He is also VERY strong. I might redshirt him this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote