View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

First Quarter:

We got the ball first, and went 3 and out. Our O-Line isn't creating holes like the group did last year.

They tore us up on their first drive with 5 of 5 passing before we got a defended pass, a 2 yard run, and then a sack. They went for it on 4th and we pressured them into throwing it short and tackled the WR before he could get the 1st.

With 4 minutes left, a 2 yard run was followed up by our first big play of the day. Pro form set, half back screen, our O-Line pulled perfectly. Booty lured the D-line after him. Quick toss to Bush, he ran past the O-Line that had 3 defenders blocked. He juked the FS and ran 69 yards for the TD. His speed is lethal

We caused them to go 3 and out. We then had a few nice short runs and a few short passes. I'm finding holes harder to find for Bush this year, but all he needs is one good block to spring him. I went for it when it was 4th and inches on their 33. I ran Bush up the middle and was shocked when he BARELY made it.

A few good passes from Booty to Jarrett and then Bush set up a 1st and goal from the 5. We ran a toss out of the I formation and Bush got perfect blocking to spring him untouched in the endzone to make it 14-0 with 1 minute left in the 1st quarter.

End of the 1st Quareter: Their QB is 7 of 7 for 96 yards. If a team with mediocre WR's can hurt this bad by running 4 and 5 WR sets, I'd hate to see what a talented team could do. Our 3rd and 4th corners are getting smoked out there.

Second Quarter:

Their drive ended with a missed field goal, and we got the ball on our own 38. Bush had a 10 yard run, then he really started feeling it. On his next carry, he ran up the middle, stiff armed the MLB, then juked the FS. Then, he blew by the defense for a 52 yard TD run. He is so tough to bring down. This run puts us up 21-0 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter.

On their next drive, they ran the ball well and passed it even better to get into our turf. However, their LT is overmatched by Schweiger. He had a key sack on 3rd and 6 which caused them to go for a field goal which they missed again.

We had the ball on our own 24 and Bush was heating up. He had a quick 9 yard run, followed by an 11 yard toss to the left, followed by a 22 yard run up the middle in which he broke 2 tackles. A 5 play 76 yard drive was capped when Booty rolled to his right and found Fred Davis in the right corner of the endzone for the TD! That was a 20 yard scoring strike. That put us up 28-0 with 3 minutes left in the 1st half.

We held them to a 3 and out on their next series thanks to 2 key tackles by our MLB Lua. Bush had a 19 yard return of the punt to start us on their 36.

I brought White into the game to give Bush a breather. White proceeded to run for 6, 5, and 6 yards on successive runs. Then, Booty performed a perfect play action with a strike to Whitney in the right corner of the endzone for a 19 yard TD pass. This made it 35-0 with 40 seconds left in the half.

They ran out the clock to end the half rather than take any chances.

Halftime: 35-0 lead for us. A few key stats. Booty is 8 of 11 for 154 yards with 3 TD. Bush's long screen pass is the main inflator of the yardage. Reggie Bush 11 carries for 127 yards 2 TD. Reggie Bush is the leading receiver with 3 catches for 82 yards and 1 TD. O'Connell their QB is 10 of 13 for 126 yards, 0 TD 0 INT, 4 sacks. We've contained their star RB. He has 12 carries for 19 yards. I think our LB core is better than last year and is doing a great job of stuffing the run. Their HB is their leading receiver with 3 catches for 32 yards.

Third Quarter:

After stopping them short of midfield, we get the ball on our 20 from a punt.

We then proceed to put together a wonderful drive. I want to see how we can handle the short passing game as I might need to keep away from opponents at time. We do great as Booty is 6 of 6 on the drive for 54 yards including a 16 yard play action strike to the TE in the back of the endzone on a post route. Fred Davis is going to be a tough cover for any S and he finally seems to be feeling comfortable out there. As a result, he isn't dropping everything like he did last year. 42-0 to go with 2 and a half minutes in the quarter. I'll put the 2nd string offense in soon, but as long as we have a shutout, the 1st team defense will stay on the field.

They annoy me by stringing together a 6 of 7 drive with a 24 yard TD pass from O'Connell to Smith in the left corner of the endzone to make it 42-7. I was going to pull my offense, but my annoyance makes me leave them on the field for one more drive. After that, I'll put in both 2nd strings.

Bush starts us off with a 35 yard kick return. He was a shoe string tackle from going the distance. We come out with 2 TE's and Bush split wide opposite Jarrett. I run with White 3 times for 4, 3, and 4 yards. Then, a quick 7 yard pass to Brown the blocking TE. Another short run for white. Then, we call a play action pass. Bush takes off down the sideline, the safety bites on the play action. Bush burns the corner. Booty throws it and Bush runs under it and into the endzone for the 41 yard TD strike. That's it. I've seen enough. I put in both 2nd strings. I'm looking forward to seeing what Hinds can do with his speed and mobility. We are up 49-7.

I don't have to wait long as we get them to go 3 and out.

Hinds starts off by handing it to White for 5 yards. Then, I run the I form option right. Hinds pitches it to White at the last minute springing him for 21 yards. Hinds has wonderful speed and is going to be dangerous running the option. Hinds and White get us within the 20, but I have to put Washington on due to White's fatigue. Washington is stopped for a 2 yard and another 2 yard run. I true the option on 3rd and 6 but Hinds is stopped 2 yards shot. I try a 19 yard field goal only to kick it into the upright. Oh well, least we ate up clock. There are now 2 minutes left in the game.

They proceed to put their 2nd string offense on the field. Their QB tries a bomb the first play and Pinkard intercepts it! Nice play by the backup FS.

I proceed to run option play after option play for 8, 5, and 15 yards. Unfortunately, on the 15 yard play the DE nailed Hinds and he went down in pain. However, he was able to walk off the field. Hopefully, he will be ok. I then proceeded to run the ball with Hendrix my backup FB and he did a nice job on a run of 17 yards! However, it was called back on the RT's holding penalty. We ran out the clock and ended the game.

Final Score: 49-7 win for us.

Key Stats:

John David Booty 17 of 20 passing for 257 yards. 5 TD 0 INT. 1 sack.

Kevin O'Connell 19 of 26 passing for 224 yards. 1 TD 0 INT. 6 sacks.

Reggie Bush 16 carries for 173 yards. 2 TD. 97 yards after the 1st hit.

Lendale White 10 carries for 98 yards. 65 after the first hit.

Lynell Hamilton (SDSU) 14 carries for 37 yards.

Reggie Bush 6 catches for 131 yards and 2 TD.

Fred Davis 3 catches for 46 yards 2 TD.

Dwayne Jarrett 2 catches for 19 yards.

Tyrell Smith (SDSU) 5 catches for 89 yards. 1 TD.

Lynell Hamilton 4 catches for 52 yards.

Leading Tackler:

Oscar Lua 6 tackles, 2 for a loss.

Donny Baker (SDSU), CB 6 tackles, 2 for a loss.

Leading sacks:

Lawrence Jackson and Jeff Schweiger each had 2.

Josh Pinkard had the only interception of the game for us.

Star of the Game: Reggie Bush - 173 yards rushing, 131 yards receiving, and 76 return yards (2 KR and 4 PR.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote