View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #186
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't mean to cast doubt on its legality.

Rather, the electors are humans, and they are the weak link. Eventually, you'd have something weird happen... like a replay of 2016 or 2000, in whatever direction. Then, you'd be counting on human beings from states who voted for the candidate of their party to cross the party line and cast the deciding votes for the other candidate, and give him or her the win. How does that actually work? The constitution still grants the elector the power to cast that ballot... so what state law/penalty/etc would really stand up to that pressure? You going to put the person in jail for 30 years if she breaks the state law? (Obviously no fine would be relevant here, you'd have countless stand-ins willing to pay the fin on someone's behalf)

That's all I mean - it's legally on the up-and-up, but put into practice and suddenly that poor stiff from Oregon/Mississippi might have second thoughts.

I don't think that's how it would happen. Article 1, Section 2 says:

Quote:
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

So if Wisconsin has joined this popular vote agreement, they wouldn't be sending Trump's electors and telling them to vote for Hillary, they would be sending Hillary's electors.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote