View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I had a critical decision to make this sim. Long time ace Luis Aragon, who is 30, was asking for an $80-something M contract over nine years. I knew he would sign for less, but I figured the per annum wouldn't be much lower, and I was right.

My problem is that over the next three years, my other young starters, which are the basis for the recent success I have had, will also come up for deals. Aragon was clearly my second best pitcher, but I have rotation depth. It would not have been a poor decision to let him go and not take that cap hit at $8+ M per year.

The problem is that, after all of the young pitchers are up for contract, the last one up for a new deal is Sam Big Shot Ledoux, who has just won two Mauro Morales awards in his first two seasons. I know I will sign him to whatever he wants, but that will come at a cost.

So my decision came down to, keep Aragon and likely let those middle level young pitchers go (Calhoun, Renny, Schitt) and then keep Ledoux, or let Aragon go, and have a good chance to keep at least two of Calhoun and Renny before signing Ledoux to his big deal.

I guess we'll see how it woks out in the end. Aragon and Ledoux will likely command at least 1/4 of my cap space, but I still need to be able to field a lineup and a bullpen.
I've been watching this exact situation for a couple weeks. I wondered what way you'd go with it.
hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote