View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
aston217
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry View Post
Hi,
Can some one discuss the draft analyser?
How is it best used?
Are there more useful and less useful aspects?
Thankyou,
Merry

This is an interesting question that I wanted to comment on based on my (limited) experience using it. I've used it for two drafts now, but really only relied on it for one. How did I live without it? It was hard...although I don't understand all of it either, so I'm feeling my way around it. Maybe others can chime in.

But, anyway. I would caution against relying too much on the combine numbers. I'm looking over one of the drafts where I got some good combine guys. LT rated 12.18 for his combine and 54.8 for his bars. The "rate" bar showed 73.3. He had the fourth best combine score among all OTs in the draft (being fairly close to #3, and having some separation from #5 and 6). Got him in the 4th round, and he went 22/44->24/41.

Exhibit 2: this 3rd round corner with a 12.01 combine rating, 32.3 bars for 45.5 overall. His combine was the third best in the draft. #1 and #2 were over 20, and #4 was 10.57. He went 15/24->17/25. Neither made the team.

I know combine is king, but I guess just a word of caution before comparing players based on it. Also you probably have to tweak around the weights settings a bit. I haven't before, but this time I'm removing Broad Jump from factoring into the combine results for corners, safeties, and receivers since they just refer to returns. Also applying the weights seems to give the QBs numbers where they didn't have them before.

I guess the bottom line is it tells you a lot about the player, but the bottom line is it's just part of the story. A workout warrior that has lousy bars across the board will probably underwhelm. A player with great bars but a lousy combine across the board probably means the bars are lying. Where it's more interesting is if one or two things don't match up. And there I don't know.

aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote