View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #185
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I don't know if there is in the US, there is just already too much competition with the UFC, the WWE, Boxing and to a lesser degree TNA for what is a very similiar crowd when it comes to the masses.

With that said, the opportunity EliteXC has is pretty big - they can bring in an entirely new audience. If they can also get some of the 'real media' interested, that's big too - but unfortunately for them, like the WWE and wrestling when the real media talks about MMA, they call it the UFC.

I was watching Around the Horn yesterday and they brought up MMA, and one of the guys mentioned how it was a desperate sport and his 'sources' were telling him they only do about 55k buys for PPVs, and none of the other 4 people even disputed that, They are clueless. While they're only a small segment it's generally the same reaction/knowledge. PTI's reaction was it's a brutal sport only watched by the under 40 crowd.

It's going to take alot of money to compete with the UFC, and I'm not sure if breaking up the UFC's monopoly they currently have on the sport is even good for the fans, since once guys start jumping - that just means less possible 'super fights'. This could actually end up helping the UFC more than it helps EliteXC, if they put on a low budget circus like the last show - it still could pique new people's interest and they will want to see what the #1 promotion is like.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote