View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #660
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, tomorrow is the training camp stage. We're already at 68 players, it's not like I really need to load up. Looking over everything, I'm recalling all the stuff that was forward in mind 10-15 days ago... yeah, I see it.

My "Position Distribution" report is a joke, of course. We have 20 skill position players (need 10)... 14 OL (7)... 15 guys for the D7 (11)...and 11 secondary (70). So, yeah, cuts are coming. We knew that already...the 20 skills is just silly, though.

One thing that strikes me is my chemistry problem looming at WR/TE. Right now, I have a neutered long snapper as my chem gimp, he's only a 62/80, meaning he will lose control of the leadership in the group soon. Specifically, it will go to TE2 Teddy Carr (70/86) in a couple years, give or take. And the bench out there in the 2-3 group for becoming good leaders is pretty thin...it's gonna take this stiff a long time to become a group leader if Carr stays around.

So... there's the clause. If Carr stays around. Zero injury league. Last year I inadvertently just slotted my TE1 into the "tight end who gets the targets in that formation" roles, and it ended up being Weydahl 158, Carr 3 for the season (targets). Well, shit, if that's the case... why bother with a TE2 who can do anything but block, play special teams, and maybe make convincing fart sounds in his underarm? Carr is making $8m the next two years to be out TE2... maybe we just shove him out of the way for chemistry reasons, and plug in somebody else who can just make oblique contributions (cf the list above) for minimum salary, and hopefully for huge chemistry value?

Among the rest of my "long term assets" in the group, we have a number of low leadership ratings:
TE1 Weydahl 0
TE3 Barrett 5
WR1 Lester 32
WR2 Franz 13
WR3 Bernal 15

...so, in theory, we could push a guy like WR Norman into the leadership role within two or three seasons, if we get him starts and his 77 towers over the rest of the group. Limits my ability to go out and find veterans, but it's not off the table at all here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote