View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #661
QuikSand
lolzcat

Training camp is uneventful, I guess. The "reveal" is not revealing to those who understand the sneak peek angle. So, my rookie class is what I expected.

So, with 71 players (I guess I mis-calculated something, likely will suffer a penalty for exceeding 70) here are some decisions I see lying ahead for us:

RB3? In this league, I have been just riding two RBs, the minimum. Now, I sorta like the looks of rookie RB Rick Gilmore, as he bring to the table some valued intangibles - a 95 personality, and a 78/92 special teams skill. That says, to me, he could be a long term asset, possibly as our RB2 and on the active roster. So, I guess we keep him and get him "starts" this year. Does that mean we carry him as a RB3, or do we pare down one of the guys ahead of him in the queue? Maybe even Harden?

RB4? And then there's the rookie wildcard guy Taylor McCormack, who will almost certainly have a ratings bump in preseason. But if it's just 5 points, he's worthless... if it's 20 points suddenly he's in the picture, too. And if he bumps enough in punt returning to look like a viable piece to use there, even more intriguing.

Quick note - I think Harden's Goose is cooked. Comes off a bad season, low personality, special teams really not special enough for this team. Tough to overcome all those demerits, despite having a bar profile I rather like.

S McGee - he's holding out, as I more or less suspected. We'll have to decide whether he makes sense as a $12-15m/yr guy. 88 personality and 4 years on the roster - this is the sort of guy I should be keeping as part of the 2112 thing. But can I really justify it? He's really not great, and even this year he's already projecting to be our third, "utility" safety. So, on the field for maybe 250 plays? I've got CB Wordehoff on hand already, and he's totally up to that job, and is cheaper, special teamier, and chemically pretty good.

QB Jimmy Mc. You've heard this before. I really cannot justify paying $12m a year for a backup QB, when I have a high personality mentor and it's a zero-injury league. The only argument for him is that he could step in with cohesion if Teddy were to retire abruptly.

Young OL. Okay, we're shifting to a 4/5 leader guy - that means C Guthrie is an easy cut. C Borrelli still looks like a promising run blocker, possible future C starter... but on the bench with a mere 12 personality, ugh. The right play seems to be to hold onto C Castillo as long as possible, and assume we can fill the role when we need to, maybe with a guy on the roster already at guard.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote