View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Is the world pretty open? Are you able to wander about, not do the main story line and still keep things interesting?

Yeah, I'd call it open, within the confines of the borders of each map at least.

I'm on Day 9 or Day 10 (game tracks that day/night cycle), that probably equates to something like 15-20 hours of game play (maybe?). I've yet to have any main storyline stuff come into play, literally no more than a couple of random radio messages that sort of hint at the existence of such a thing.

It's been all about just trying to survive & find supplies as a constant task. I've noticed tougher enemies starting to appear, and larger herds appearing more frequently, so I know I'm "progressing" in that sense but otherwise I'm that far in with no particular push toward the main story.

My expectation is that the difficulty will be ratcheted up steadily to nudge (or shove) you in the main story direction.

My kid is about 3-5 days (in-game) farther along and has had only a little more 'main story' stuff take place His character knows about the existence of a macguffin that my character hasn't heard about yet basically. That difference is probably not time-based, but rather based on the fact he's taken out 4-5 plague hearts while I've only taken out 2 so far.

As for the wandering around aspect of it, the game is divided into 3 roughly equal sized maps. (Hills, Plateau, and Valley, I think it is). I've seen roughly half my map, he's seen closer to 2/3rd to 3/4ths of his map. We've not cleared more than maybe 10-15% of the locations we're aware of, and those can repopulate as roaming hordes spread across the map. And I just unlocked the ability to move between maps (costs you Influence, which is the in-game currency for trade, claiming buildings & outposts, etc) but have no reason or desire to think about looking at another map to this point, I've barely touched the one I started on.

Hope that helps.