View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #116
SecretAgentMan
n00b

Year 1, Chapter 9- January 2023 Results
"Greenland is Ice, but Iceland is Nice"
-D2: The Mighty Ducks

I finished typing, and clicked save on the file. I sighed with relief. The final task of the morning was done. I had just finished a press release that we had been sending out to the Icelandic press every month. That was my last task to do before heading out on our next trip. The European Youth Olympic Festival started this weekend, and I was to be there as part of Iceland's delegation. It was technically going to be my first time marching in an opening ceremony, which would be interesting.

I closed the computer. Time to get ready to go!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Icelandic Athletic Committee would like to announce the following results and highlights from winter sports athletes during the month of January 2023.

Alpine Skiing
The Icelandic Ski Team continued to compete on both the World Cup and European Cup this month. In the world cup, Karen Vilhjalmsdottir continues to be our most consistent slalom skier. On January 6th, she nearly got world cup points, coming in 36th place out of 75 starters. Speed Skier Viktor Armannson had several finishes in the 50s and 60s, while Olympian Julia Leifsdottir has continued to struggle to find her form.

On the European Cup, multiple Icelandic skiers are gaining experience, but were unable to gain any points in January.

Bobsleigh
Social media darlings Katla_Vilhjalmsdottir and Emilia_Olvirsdottir continued their season by appearing at both the Junior World Championships as well as the European Championships. At the European Championships, they started the first run in 50th out of 50, but improved to 43th for the 2nd run, 48th for the 3rd run, and 43th for the 4th run. While that puts them far down the standings, it does show that they are off to a strong start in their bobsleigh journey competing against Europe's best teams, including the tough German squads.

In the junior world championships, things were more favorable. 27th out of 32 in Run 1, followed by 29th, 27th, and 27th in the remaining three runs. They will still be eligible for junior worlds for two more years, and we look forward to seeing them compete for medals in the future!

Cross Country Skiing
6 male and 3 female skiers competed at the Scandinavian cup minor circuit event in Estonia. The highlight of the weekend was Benedikt Johnsson, who far outperformed his 701st ranking in the world to finish 20th of over 65 participants in Saturday's sprint race and receive our first Scandinavian Cup points of the season. Julia Sigurdsdottir followed as well, securing a 25th place finish out of 36 in both Friday AND Sunday's Women's 10 km events.

Figure Skating
Guomundur_Sigurdsson and Katrin_Leifsdottir turned in a strong performance at the European Figure Skating Championships, finished 21st out of 51 in the rhythm dance, qualifying them for the original dance. They slipped to 28th in the original dance, but overall had a great competition.

Alex Robertsson did not qualify for the free program in men's figure skating, but since he is eligible for junior world championships, he still has another big competition later in the season.

Luge
Daniel Stefansson competed in his first Junior World Cup Luge events. While he finished 39th of 39 in both events, he did improve during the course of the event. In Saturday's race, he was 39th in both runs, while on Sunday he finished 37th and 38th in the two heats, though that unfortunately still led to a 39th place finish overall.

Short Track Speed Skating
Iceland sent two representatives to the European Short Track Speed Skating Championships. Each of the 40 plus men's and women's competitors competed in 3 different events. Telma Jonsdottir had a high finish of 24th, while Arnar Hilmarsson had a high finish of 30th.

Skeleton
Daniel Vilhjalmsson represented Iceland valiantly at the European Championships, but unfortunately finished 29th out of 29 in the event.

Ski Jumping
Rakel Hilmarsdottir continues to represent Iceland in Ski Jumping's Continental Cup, and competed in 8 events this month. She received her first points of her career on January 15th, when she finished in 29th place. She also placed 37th in a different event later in the month

Snowboarding
Daniel Olvirsson participated in two European Cup snowboardcross events, but did not finish in the Top 30 in either event.

[END Year 1, Chapter 9]

Sorry about being a day late this week! As always, remember that you can help improve Iceland's fortunes! With any comments you make on this post, you get Dynasty Points that you can spend at a later date to increase Iceland's budget. I update this thread once each week! Next week we FINALLY get a look at our young snowboarders during the European Youth Olympic Festival.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan : 07-18-2022 at 10:17 AM.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote